year amf skylark ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently aquired this AMF Roadmaster Skylark as a donation. Trying to find out the year it was made if anyone has any ideas would greatly appreciate it. looking to shine this one up and put some time on it.
s# left rear dropout m104713
This one will go well with the 66 super deluxe stingray I got at a yard sale for $ 2

100_0845.jpg

100_0842.jpg

It's made in Arkansas, so it's before 1962. The old seat stem and star sprocket make it a little earlier, probably late 50's. The serial numbers haven't been figured out completely yet. Looks like it's all there and in good shape.

No pics of the super deluxe atm, got bike before I got the camera and competely dismantled right now. Had all chrome, fenders and chainguard, springer fork, blue glitter seat (no tears or holes) reflector still hanging of back of seat, blue grips and old canister speedometer mounted to the bar. had no back wheel, left rear dropout s# LB03010
This one was saved from the trash for me by my brother headbadge s# 2591 I believe a Scrambler.

100_0846.jpg

Correction on my post, it could be later than 1962, as they still made bikes in Arkansas after 1962.

DANG! Wish I had that luck! Best of all, it was FREE!

Heres o pic of the 66 super Deluxe I'm in the middle of atm Its the 2 dollar bike i got at a garage sale.
100_1535.jpg

pipedowns said:
Saw someone on here state the star chanrings were made only in 61-62.

There are AMF ads from 1962,3, and 5, in "Evolution of the Bicycle, Vol. 1". I believe yours is a 65, as the 62s used the old Shelby style chainguard, and the 63's had the chainring with a tri-spoke in the middle, surrounded by square cutouts (used through the 70s). The 65 Skylark has the stars chainring, and looks to have the same graphics and racks. Sometime post-65, they changed the Roadmaster logo on the tank from script to regular block lettering. -Adam

SO YOU'RE THE ONE WHO STOLE MY STING-RAY!! HEELLLPPP!!! POLICE!!! :mrgreen: YOU LUCKY SLOB I'D A RIPPED A HOLE IN MY POCKET GETTING THE MONEY OUT. TAKE A PIC OF THAT SPEEDOMETER FOR US. PEACE

okie heres a shot of the speedometer, not schwinn but low miles.

100_1550.jpg

After some elbow grease and a few hours heres the Skylark. Star chainring, gooseneck style clampless seatpost, and apears to be multi speed hub? was missing kickstand and if multi then shift cable and shifter as well are missing. the chain in the one pick looks brand new but is the original, was buried under a load of grease n grime. Bike appeared to have spent a lot of time on an oil sprayed road so no rust at all under fenders or chainguard. Looks to be original tires as well.

100_1536.jpg

100_1537.jpg

100_1538.jpg

100_1539.jpg

100_1540.jpg

100_1541.jpg

100_1543.jpg

100_1548.jpg

Response from the NBHAA states the bike is a '62 and have it in the original brochure! As to the value I guess it doesnt really matter since I've no intention of selling.

At first I thought the photo was reversed, but Huffy is spelled correctly, it's the first speedo I've seen that reads from the right.

I also just noticed the forks on the AMF, they are bent forward at the crown it looks like. Usually forks get bent backward when the bike hits something. In this case, I'll guess they were bent backward, then when straightened, they bent them too far forward. The problem is the amount of times they have been bent, it weakens the metal and make cause a crack where you can't see it, where it enters the frame. I would check the forks closely for cracks, then ride it as is without trying to get them straight. If the forks do have a crack, that style isn't hard to find, they made them into the 70's, and other brands of forks are also a close match. Or it would be a good excuse to get a springer.

Reads to the right?
I see what you mean about slightly off. I came across one on craigslist the same day I read your post but the forks are completely reversed and at about a 45 degree angle. Seller says in near perfect condition with low miles and left in storage. heres the pic from the ad.
3n03kd3o25Y55Q65X2b6e3e2b455f03ef1db7.jpg

3n63p23lc5V05W05P5b6ef516379060a119ab.jpg

In the same town? Looks like the same bike. Those forks are definitely bent and need to be checked out before you ride it.

Bike for sale was in Columbus, OH, I live in Adrian, MI. Lookin at the forks in the pic I wouldnt even throw a leg over that frame. They state in the add its a early 50s. I got mine for free and wouldnt pay the $400 they were askin if I wanted it. If they are saying its in excellent condition they are either clueless about the history and know nothing of bikes or are tryin to pull one over on a buyer. I sent an e-mail to the seller stating my obsevations and sent a pic of mine so they can compare what it should look like. link to the add
http://columbus.craigslist.org/atq/2439395919.html

Back