Yard sale road bike, MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ish

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really been a road biker, but after my knees killing me from doing 22 miles on a cruiser, I'm looking into using a road bike for longer rides. So, I was at this yard sale and the guy had a Fuji Roubaix with full Shimano 105 gruppo, except the front wheel which is a hand-built Ultegra:

2000FujiRoubaix.jpg

The bike had a slight problem, though:

2000FujiRoubaixDent.jpg

I offered the guy $60 for the bike and he took it.

Since the frame is aluminum, it cannot be repaired. I ordered the Nashbar AluC Kinesium/Carbon frame for $137 shipped after 70% + 20% off and am going to swap most of the components over.

NB-ALUC-NCL-BAR.jpg

I also picked up this Bianchi Super Grizzly as a "new" commuter. I hate the splatter paint job, but love the fitment, lugged Tange Prestige frame, and full XT group.

BianchiSuperGrizzly1.jpg

muddywater04 said:
whats the plan with the dented fuji frame?

It's going on craigslist with the headset and fork, with full disclosure. The headset and fork are fine, the top tube of the frame is developing small cracks and will fail at some point.

The Fuji was dropped and dented 2 weeks after it was bought brand new. The guy continued to ride it for about 4 years anyway, which was both brave and stupid IMO. He was smacked by a car at one point, and replaced the front wheel with a much nicer one. Don't know the story with the saddle other than it is a really really crappy saddle. :) The parts were too good of a deal to pass up.

There are tiny cracks forming in the aluminum. You can't really see them in the pic, they are just starting.

that is going to be a really sweet road bike for very cheap. good job.

That frame is obviously cursed. Send it to me and I will exorcize the demons. :D

WhiteShadow said:
duct tape it, good to go

JB Weld and a sticker around the top tube. :p

Got the Nashbar frame today. Looks great. Now I get to have my first experience with facing the frame and installing a cartridge BB and threadless headset.

I'm not used to spending money on new bike parts. Feels strange.

Well, I was going to get a $99 Nashbar Carbon Road Fork for the red frame above, but Nashbar sold out right before I was going to place the order. It worked out for the best, though, as I managed to score one of these forks really cheap: :shock:

325388313_90980c9eee.jpg

Back