Would you ever...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a 500K+ mile vehicle?

• Sure, I'd buy it

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Run away NOW!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm looking at buying a truck to haul stuff around in and one has been haunting me. The more I think of it the more I want it. Here's my dilemma, the truck is a one owner, looks to be in decent shape with just a bit of rust on the bed but fixable, is priced rather cheap, it's a good brand that I have owned before and had a great experience owning, but the one i am looking at has half a million miles on it!

On the one hand it has obviously been well maintained to have made it this far, on the other hand it has enough miles to have driven around the earth 20 times. Which leads me to my question... Would you ever buy a vehicle that had 500,000+ miles?

Also it is NOT a diesel.

If a car has a lot miles like in the 100,000 range , it could break down quicker.
If you get that many miles on one everything is worn to the max. Doubt if you
could drive it for a month without something serious breaking. Unless he has changed
everything to new.

Uncle Stretch said:
If a car has a lot miles like in the 100,000 range , it could break down quicker.
If you get that many miles on one everything is worn to the max. Doubt if you
could drive it for a month without something serious breaking. Unless he has changed
everything to new.

unless its a Toyota , then your good to go.. !!! :lol: seriously tho, toyotas go forever. my 74 dodge has 475k on it and runs like a dream . (new motor and tranny at 350k) single digit mileage tho... :shock:

If she is cheap or something you really want and wouldn't mind fixing, I don't see why not.
I bought a 22 year old F-100 with right at 300K, put another 100 on her before swaping out the engine, and now she is sneaking up on another 100 on this engine.
Depends on the truck I guess.

Roscoe Clyde

With my truck purchase it had 756,423 an yes its a desiel with 550hp an 13 gears to get around an a nice bedroom on back

Yeah I've had good luck with Toyota and Nissans both. I had a pathfinder that didn't know what die meant and i beat on that poor old rustbucket. And my Toyota truck had 500,000 miles when I bought it, 750k when the dash cluster stopped working (submerged the truck in mud and it never worked again). Probably 800k when the frame rusted in half and I DROVE it to the scrapyard and it was still going strong. Burned about a quart of oil every two months but what do you expect from a truck that was driven around the world and scraped every rock and tree along the way. :lol: I don't think there was one straight panel left including the floors and roof. :mrgreen:

Well I guess it wasn't in the cards this time, the guy sold it before I could figure out a way to haul it. Oh we'll ill find another.

Back