Work bench blues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was suppose to be working on the build, but my wife wanted me to take her and her friend
out to lunch. That means being clean....not sure why but women are funny about that. So that blows
most of the day. I got to feeling bad yesterday, and today was shot, so I figured I would solve a problem
first. My work bench was made for wood working and it had a 2 1/2 ton punch along with a storage box
full of stuff to put snaps in nylon straps. Now none of this went with frame building and along with a trough
in the back full of worthless crap ...catches lots of sanding grit.
We were at a trade show once and a couple asked if we wanted this heavy steel dolly they had. They said it
weighed too much and hurt them every time they had to load it. So I took it and hurt myself bringing it home.
So today I figured out a use for it. I cut the wheels off and hoisted it on my woodworking bench and bolted it down.
It turned out good. All bolted down and solid as a rock.
DSCF0001-147.jpg

DSCF0002-129.jpg

DSCF0003-55.jpg

DSCF0004-44.jpg

It really is Outskirt. Not sure why anyone would buy anything that heavy for a portable dolly.

Yeah Ratfink it was just sitting there and I should have done it a long time ago. Finally got
fed up with working around all the mess. It added a couple inches height and its a lot more comfortable.
The punch weighs probably 200 pounds. I know I will be sore tomorrow. Felt like a stupid kid picking
up way too heavy of stuff without any sense.

Yep this friend of mine has a shop and it had a bunch of metal tables. I was looking for a vise and he said he
would sell that one if I took it off. Took a while because it had been on there for lots of years.
I gave him $27 for it. He wanted $30 and I was short. Its been a good one. Now I see them cleaned
up on CL for 3 or 4 hundred.

Their one of the best in my opinion. Had one similar to it that was used in the shop for over 40 years and it was bought from military surplus before that. Great top on the bench. That should stay with you for a while. Thanks!!!

I sometimes handle slavage bids for ins companies, usually drives the price up a couple hundred when they're mounted on the back bumpers of service trucks. :mrgreen:

Looks like a heavy duty cart fore sure :shock: Love the vise mount attachment for your clamp too !

Yeah Cashman I watch all the time on Cl for another Reed vise. They sell them sometimes, but they are people
that know what they are worth. Usually in the $250 to $350 range. Since mine was cheap I have a hard time paying
that much for another....not that I need one.
CCR the dolly has 3 2x6'' rectangular tubes that run the length and are welded to the top. It must weigh a couple
hundred pounds. I think it was a commercial dolly. I bet they paid a bunch for it. Looked like the guys wife bought
it and then he got tired of loading it. They were going to leave it in the parking lot if we didn't want it. I snatched it
up quick. Hate to throw away anything that is worth something. Someday I may buy a piece of 1/4'' plate and tack it to
the top just to keep it really flat. A friend of mine bought a piece of 1'' that was 4x8 and had it Blanchard ground. He
made a killer welding table.

CCR Just figured out what you were talking about. :lol: :lol: :lol: It holds my bikes good too.

Back