Will acetone harm a vinyl seat?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know laquer thinner does. it rubs off a little bit of the vinyl, and if you rub enough, you could leave a smooth spot. but hey, i had the same result. only someone badly spray canned the underside of a green schwinn seat white. :roll:

I use that Goo Gone Xtreme remover to clean most seats. You would want to do a test spot first, but I found it is pretty good about removing paint from vinyl seats. It isn't as harsh as acetone. Costs around 4 bucks at Walmart and comes in a red can. Think it used to be called Oops.

I've gotten the seat all cleaned up, but the vinyl is stained bad. I tried searching for a thread I saw a while back on repainting vinyl seats but I couldn't find it. Anyone know where it is at? What kind of paint should I use that will hold up to the wear on a seat? Acrylic? Rattle can for plastic?

Not sure on how it will hold up on a seat but they sale vinyl automotive interior paint over at auto-zone its rattle can but Ive had some good luck on dash and center console pieces in my car

450redrider said:
Not sure on how it will hold up on a seat but they sale vinyl automotive interior paint over at auto-zone its rattle can but Ive had some good luck on dash and center console pieces in my car
I've used the Duplicolor on seats, it works fine.

the how to on repainting them said to use craft paints from michaels or jo anns, you know, in the little 2 oz bottle. but for a more proper application i think vinyl dye would work perfectly since thats what its designed for.

Yes, this is the seat.
9q9usz.jpg

After I got the paint off, I found that the vinyl had been yellowed pretty bad. I'll post a pic later when I get home again. I am going with a red and white (or cream) and gold trim paint scheme on the bike. I am thinking of going white with the Lone Star Shield.

Latest posts

Back