Who's got English ancestry?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread!
As for me - yup, definitely! My mom's family tree was traced back to about the year 1250 as a thesis project by my mom's cousin way back when, when genealogy wasn't nearly as popular or easy! Looks like we originated and hung around Ardleigh for most of the time after that date. In fact, there's a very old church in Ardleigh that has a "Stone wall" (that's the family name, not the material!) that has a whole bank of stained-glass windows donated and dedicated to the Stone family. Da's family was from Leeds, but we've found little about it, unfortunately.
I'm also quite proud to say mom's family hit these shores in 1630, making us quite American as well... :wink:
Until this generation, all of her family lived within 50 miles of where they first landed in Massachusetts (pretty amazing to me), and they supplied the area with dozens of statesman, clergy and military officers over the last (almost) 4 centuries!

born and raised in england (till i was 8)

the last name seems a rare one even in those parts (never met any one other than family with the same name.)
the name is maulson and i'm from doncaster.

Great thread!

All my ancestry is Scottish but I was born in England (oh the shame!!) It could have turned out very differently. My father's father emigrated to Canadia between the wars at the age of seventeen. The story he told my mum was, shortly after he arrived he was attacked by a drunk in a bar, when he hit back the guy fell and banged his head. My Grandad, convinced that he had killed the guy, jumped on the first boat back to Europe.

I have an english ancestory, i don't know exactly the whereabouts of where we were located. I just know that in an old map i saw on the internet one time it said that there was a whole town named after my family. Which is kinda cool i guess. But My last name is Huddleston. And i just googled it once and the map came up on the images and i saw that the town was named after my lastname. So yeah. I have english ancestory. :mrgreen:

Quite interesting... Contrary to popular belief, not all Australians came over as convicts :lol: My mothers side may have involved some sort of bread-thievery, but I know that in England there is a town called Beamish (our family name). Somewhere down the line they had moved from Ireland where they still brew Beamish ale/bitter/stout. I'm still trying to figure out the events that caused them to go from Ireland to England (it's about 400 years of English ancestry), and then in the 1800's go from Ol' Blighty to California for the gold rush, and then from there to Oz to begin life as pastoralists. We still have some original land holdings from the 1840's still in our family. I also have an aunty who's grandmother came from Ireland and they settled up in the high country where they were so isolated (only got electricity in 1995) that my aunty actually has an Irish accent, even though neither her nor her mother had ever been there! :shock: It's funny, my immediate family is considered the "city-slickers" because the rest of them are all hillbilly's. :lol:

That's a well travelled family! You reminded me that Chile had a president called Bernado O'Higgins.
I've got a load of relatives in Cuba and some in the USA, I don't know the details though except a 6th cousin in N.J. (I think).

stephen said:
Some great connections there! Maybe the town is Stratford where 'The Bard' (Shakespeare) came from? It's about 25 miles from me.

Could very well be. :wink: I think that Stratford is the name I couldn't get right- it sounds really familiar ( from the last time I heard about this when I was talking with my grandparents over a year ago). It sounds pretty close to Starbard when you say it fast, and then too, it seems oddly coincidental that they added the "-bard" portion... only history knows I guess. :D

Back