which should I buy?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Noob here looking to pick up a bike to make awesome. I've narrowed out down to 2 choices. I need help deciding.
The columbia for 75:
3kf3Le3N55Nf5Ed5Mdd2o5e33e82414b61b02.jpg

or this western flyer for 100:
3kf3Nf3H35Lf5Ff5H4d2i4b82a992d25c108d.jpg

Both are pretty complete. I just want to fix one up and ride.
Help!

Welcome aboard! Post up an intro.

Offer $50 on each bike. You may end up with both. The WF looks like it's Ross built. However the Columbia has original paint, but no chain guard.

Good luck!

And a classic rookie forum mistake.this is in the wrong section. Could a mod move this for me?
And thanks Toeslider! I was leaning that direction.

I also agree with others on price, you should be able to get either for less than the asking price. As a general rule, if I'm paying $100 for a classic bike, I feel it should have at least one of the following:

Truss rods
Skirt guards
Tank
Headlight
Center stand
Springer

If it has two or more of any of the above, and isn't completely trashed, $100 is usually a price you won't lose money on. One of the above and you should break even at the worst. None of the above, you should try to get it for less, unless it is a really desirable frame or make.

On the western flyer, they're stuck at 115, but I'm not going up from 100. Originally, they only wanted to sell me the set pictured for 175. No thanks.
The columbia, they want 100, but 75 is what I got him to come down to.

I'm having no luck finding out what the serial number means. You guys have any thoughts?

slowhat said:
I'm having no luck finding out what the serial number means. You guys have any thoughts?

Serial numbers have not been decoded for most bike mfgrs for most years... It is the exception and not the rule that the serial number will ID the year... :(

I've had a few 60's Ross frames, the numbers started with an R. I think yours is a 50's model Ross made bike.

Back