Wheel Question??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Headhunter
Maybe some wheels off a recumbent tricycle, with the hollow hub, you might have to fab the disk brake mounting. Check out ebay, I saw 20'"and 24" hollow hubs out there.
Looks like a interesting build, but remember there are not many mountains or big hills in witchita,ks.. If there was, I'd want to build one, too.
Check out some of the video of the SFVISBF "soap box" (yea right) races, fun stuff, wish we had some big gravity around here.
Dangerous Dan

Hey Dan....

Those videos are totally cool.....
I am planning a gravity race sometime in the middle of May.....Planeview Park has that old soapbox derby track that will be perfect for this..... I would like to get quite a few guys/girls/families together for this.....I have 5 people committed as of now. It could be alot of fun.....This will be an all day event with a BBQ /picnic and just all around good times. It would be cool to be somewhat competitve but mostly just for fun. I thought about doing some pinstriped panels for various rewards/trophies. There are no "real rules" except it has to be gravity powered and have some sort of brakes.

SO.....Are you in??? :mrgreen:

Cannondale Lefty Hubs. Not sure who makes them, I think there actually Cannondale. After I looked at the picture a bit more... I'm sure somebody makes some specific for that, but, you could use a Sealed bearing Disc Hub with a thru axle that bolts on. "Hadley Hubs" makes hubs exactly like this for Foes Downhill bikes. I'm sure theres more. Ummm... Shitmano Saint rear hubs are like that. RockShox has a fork out that has a specifi hub that has a thru axle.

It's Amazing just how many bike parts are out there!

Thanks for the ebay link.....I was able to buy 4 of them for just 20 bucks.....I will have to figure out how to attach brakes to them when they arrive......Thanks again.....Just what I was looking for. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of this build in another post!!! :)

"disk brake conversion kit - screws onto a 16", 20", 24", and 26" standard free wheel, disk diameter is 6.5"
i think they do have a kit w/calliper look into that link CCR posted

hard to tell 100% but looks like only fronts for brakes so you need two freewheel hubs(20" bmx) that have the same bearing set up but you'll need to do some kind of set pin in one (or both) sides. if you dont one side will unscrew when you slow down

EDIT**** or buy one leftside drive freewheel hub 8)

Hey Guys.....Thanks for the link on the brakes and the info......the brake conversion looks simple enough....but finding a freewheel hub with the correct bearing size might be difficult....the wheels i ordered have 1/2 inch axles and should work great. I may just have to use the old school bmx style brakes, We'll see.....

Hey there Headhunter,
I got a couple of other projects I got to get done first. But my brain has been thinking about building a G-racer. So, no promises, but I'm going to try to have one.

It may be like the one I had as a kid but updated to hold an old 215 lb guy. As a 12 year old I had a wood platform with real SoapBox Derby wheels on it (the metal wheels not the plastics) ,it steered with my feet and a rope, and had tennis shoe foot brakes. With a push start down the Memphis street hill in Bel Aire ( an elavation change of probably 25 feet in a 1/2 block ), it seemed fast.

I always wanted to run down the Planeview SBD hill.

I can see a updated version made from some aluminum honeycomb composite, with some of those wheels like you ordered, with proper steering and some kind of brake. And sides on it so it doesn't throw my fat self out of it as easy, I don't bounce as good as I did as a 12 year old.
Keep me informed. Dangerous Dan

MeHeadHunter would you be willing to include a 2 wheel class? I don't think I could get anything 4 wheeled together but I'm sure I could put together a "gravity bike". It might get some more people to show up.
I don't think a bike would give near the thrill as a soapbox car on that little hill but I'm sure it would be fun none the less.
Let me know when you have the date and details worked out and I can promote it on the Coasters site... if you want it promoted.
Wonder if it's even legal to even go down that hill?

Hey Dan.....That would be a very cool g-racer.....Hopefully you can get it built.....Would really like for you to be there and participate. Yeah...We're not as young as we used to be....Things hurt worse now and for a lot longer time period!!!

Randy.....Two wheeled vehicles would be fine.....although, after discussing the criteria of the vehicles with a few friends we have decided to make some size limitations to the g-racers because, of the width of the lanes on the track....They should be no longer than 10 feet
no wider than 40 inches
no taller than 3 feet
have some sort of brakes....although some vehicles will be fine for feet/flintstones brakes....such as a luge or something similar.

Advertising this on the coasters website would be way cool.....The event might have to be somewhat a little better organized than I could do myself though, if it were to get very big. This could be a very fun annual event. I can make some flyers to pass around also for advertising to freinds and such. I now already have 12 people that say they will definately participate....This is gonna be great fun!!!!

The date will be Saturday May 24th 2008.....That is the weekend after the River Festival
From around 8:00 Am till Whenever.
I still need to work out a schedule for the days events and awards and stuff like that.
As for food.....I Have a freind that has a huge trailer type grill...I'll ask him if he wouldn't mind helping out with cooking, and if everyone could bring a dish of some sort we should have plenty of food.

I'm not sure if it is legal or not.....I was there about a week ago and it is not blocked off or anything and it is in a public park, so I dont see why we couldn't use it....I might do some checking though.

Let me know what you guys think....any input would be great!!!!

Now you just need a catchy name for the event.
Gravity Day, Day At The Gravity Races or something to do with Isaac Newton :lol:
As for bikes... no drive train (i.e. chain) and must have brakes? Anything else?

Sounds like you've got it pretty well worked out.
Any reason for the height restriction on the 4 wheeled vehicles?

If you put together a flier/poster e-mail it to me if you can and I'll post it along with all details on the site.

MeHeadHunter said:
The event might have to be somewhat a little better organized than I could do myself though, if it were to get very big.
I'm not sure if it is legal or not.....

I know how that is from running the bike fest. It was easier on me and a lot better event when the Coasters helped out last year.

As for the legality... "Easier to ask for forgiveness afterwards than permission before" or something like that.

aka_locojoe said:
Now you just need a catchy name for the event.
Gravity Day, Day At The Gravity Races or something to do with Isaac Newton :lol:
As for bikes... no drive train (i.e. chain) and must have brakes? Anything else?

Sounds like you've got it pretty well worked out.
Any reason for the height restriction on the 4 wheeled vehicles?

If you put together a flier/poster e-mail it to me if you can and I'll post it along with all details on the site.

A name would be very cool.....I'll have to think about it while making the fliers....
The reason for the height restriction was so four wheeled vehicles will not become to unstable because of the width restriction.....two wheeled bikes should be fine no matter the height...

aka_locojoe said:
As for the legality... "Easier to ask for forgiveness afterwards than permission before" or something like that.

I was kind of thinking the same thing!!!!!

Back