What schwinn is this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this one for 20 bux but I have zero info on it. Any info would be great. Im building this for the wife. Pink and blue will be in its future :-?
ae3e5242-995c-212e.jpg
ae3e5242-996a-310a.jpg
ae3e5242-9979-dd00.jpg

The last pic is hard to see but is a pic of the schwinn logo. I will try to take better pics later

Also, I have a stingray that has been turned into a lowrider. How do you date frames? I want to make an orange krate replica. Anyone I should talk to on here that is master of the orange krates?

I dont think the hollywood had painted fenders...hmmm :?: Wow it's a skip tooth.. Doh!

I was trying to narrow it down by the chain guard. That style of guard wasn't shown on the 26" bikes, just the kid's bikes. Is it a 24"?

Wildcat said:
I was trying to narrow it down by the chain guard. That style of guard wasn't shown on the 26" bikes, just the kid's bikes. Is it a 24"?
How do I measure it? Again.. Major noob

vividlyvintage said:
Is having a skip tooth a good thing?

It's not a bad thing, but it is hard to find nicer replacement skiptooth stuff, and it is usually $pendy when you do find nice skiptooth stuff. If the stuff you've got is worn and needs replaced I'd plan on replacing it with standard 1/2" stuff unless you really liked having skiptooth stuff on you bike.

CCR said:
vividlyvintage said:
Is having a skip tooth a good thing?

It's not a bad thing, but it is hard to find nicer replacement skiptooth stuff, and it is usually $pendy when you do find nice skiptooth stuff. If the stuff you've got is worn and needs replaced I'd plan on replacing it with standard 1/2" stuff unless you really liked having skiptooth stuff on you bike.

What is the reason they made the skip tooth? I would think its less torque on the chain.. But thats all I can think of

vividlyvintage said:
CCR said:
What is the reason they made the skip tooth? I would think its less torque on the chain.. But thats all I can think of

The chains were pretty beefy, sprockets were thicker. It was just the standard back in the day. I think the change to modern day chain was more a result of the manufacturers making an easier / cheaper chain and just as strong. You won't see skiptooth stuff too often past the mid 50s. Before 1/2" became the standard it was considered an "upgrade" on the higher end bikes. Low end bikes would still have the skiptooth set-up and your fancier bikes would have the 1/2" on them on some brands.

vividlyvintage said:
Wildcat said:
How do I measure it? Again.. Major noob

The front tire should say 24 x 1.75 or something like that.

Oh ok. I will measure when I get home.

I was wondering why people seemed excited or suprised, that it had a skip tooth.

The origin of the "skip-tooth" (1" pitch) design was compatibility with earlier "block" chains, where the inner section was a solid block. Bicycle wheel sizes are derived from the diameter of the entire wheel, tire included, i.o.w., 24" wheel is approx. 24" from the ground to the top of the tire. :|

Latest posts

Back