What is the least amount you spent putting together a bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, as to how cheap some of you have built your bikes. I just put some parts together to start my next project, and I think I can put it together for free, with the paint and the parts I have already. I'm excited, but then I will be spending money on my trike project soon (it never seems done), so I guess it all evens out. :mrgreen:

built my buddies boardtracker for basicly free other than the red wall tires. everything else i either found laying around my house or found in junk piles. i will try to get some photos of his bike.

FREE! I Thaught this said amount of time, I PUT A hole bike togther out of junk parts from the junk pile in about 30 minutes, That includes the time it took taking parts off the junk bikes. :mrgreen:

I have put together dozens of bikes for free and donated them to needy kids but most of the bikes I build for me at least get new tires , rim strips and tubes as I dont like flats on the ride....a dose of slime is usually put in the tubes also.
How about the real question, what is the most money spent building a bike ? for me thats several hundred and I know for others its thousands but I am just a poor family man :lol: :lol:

i could build em outta junk part parts + cost of paint (i like to paint) but i usually like puttin new tires / tubes on em too, mainly because most my finds have knobbies on em.

Schwinnspastic said:
I have put together dozens of bikes for free and donated them to needy kids but most of the bikes I build for me at least get new tires , rim strips and tubes as I dont like flats on the ride....a dose of slime is usually put in the tubes also.
How about the real question, what is the most money spent building a bike ? for me thats several hundred and I know for others its thousands but I am just a poor family man :lol: :lol:
That is cool that you do that for kids! My wife and I work for a foster care agency called SOS childrens Villages, and I am always doing things like that. I think she is going to kill me if I don't stop putting money out of my pocket into them. I havent gone all out custom yet, because I'm usually just trying to make the bikes usable, but I have some plans in the works. I just hope that I can get to the level of some of you at some point, and I'm hoping to learn to weld soon too.

most: maybe like $300? dunno exactly what it cost, but it was for my full one off custom build the "x-ecruiseioner":
X-EcruiseIONER1.jpg

least: like $30-40, that was my "muscle bike", which I had to buy a whole additional bike for the rear wheel :p But for some reason I tossed the the left over frame :S
Outcast005-1.jpg

Yeah, I've built a number of bikes for free, too. BUT... I must qualify the word "FREE". I often times buy a junker for $5, and strip it down for parts. Then sooner or later might use a piece or two from it..... and so my "free" bikes might actually cost me a dollar or two.... or a dozen

I've also built a number of Give-Away bikes through the years.... but not as much as I used to. Nowadays I tend to spend a lot of time teaching the neighborhood kids to fix up their own bikes, and scrounging parts for them to use. I've found that if somebody builds/repairs/fixes up a bike for themselves, they are a lot more proud of it.

Ive always gotta be the rebel....Ive never built a bike for free. The cheapest ive ever built a bike for was $120. sorry hooch, I dont agree with what you said about the midwest. Bikes are available, but most of them come from barns and all the "barn stuff" (thats the best way I can describe it, you know, all the horrible liquid that collect in the rims from, who knows what.) Things like the "barn stuff" make it hard to find good heavy weight rims. most of the farmers around here were too poor to buy the bikes with springers, so you gotta make use of what you find.

Tornado dave, you are 100% right about what you said about people building a bike and appricriating it more,always a true fire way to teach resposibillity.

Back