What is it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What do you think this is and what vintage is it. Seller says it's 1960s... Looking at picking it up to build a custom.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Either early (as I suspect) AMF, or late Cleveland Welding. Look for a number, if it has a mark that looks like a w inside a c, it's CWC. Roadmaster in-house, or one of a number of auto part and department store brands. Line purchased by AMF in 1950.

Owner says head badge is Western Flyer, I will go see it in person this evening.

So far from the pictures, I agree it is AMF build by the chain ring and the stem, but that assumes the chain ring & stem are original to the bike.

irideiam said:
Owner says head badge is Western Flyer, I will go see it in person this evening.

So far from the pictures, I agree it is AMF build by the chain ring and the stem, but that assumes the chain ring & stem are original to the bike.

Definatly an AMF made bicycle, probably 62' to late 60's. I think pre 61' or 62' had the internal seatpost tightener (no clamp) style frame and I think early 70's went to a straight down tube frame. Back in the day Huffy and Murray mainly provided the bikes to be badged and sold under the Western Flyer name, but I think that there were also some AMF built WFs.

roadmaster said:
irideiam said:

Definatly an AMF made bicycle, probably 62' to late 60's. I think pre 61' or 62' had the internal seatpost tightener (no clamp) style frame and I think early 70's went to a straight down tube frame. Back in the day Huffy and Murray mainly provided the bikes to be badged and sold under the Western Flyer name, but I think that there were also some AMF built WFs.

Thanks, I now think it's an early to mid 1960s Galaxy Flyer base, it looks like from the Western Auto catalog pages I found online that they went to single top tube and decal head badges on the late 60s model Galaxy Flyer, then Murray started making the Galaxy Flyer in the early 70s.

Also see these:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53244

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=52039

Latest posts

Back