What bike got you started... What was your first build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, a little over a year ago I found this Fair Lady on the CL for $50 and bought it. The funny part was at the time I didn't even realize it was a girl's frame...LOL! Just shows ya how much of a poser I am. I just thought it looked cool and it was a vintage Schwinn. Once I got infected with the Schwinn bug I learned quickly about frames. I was a child of the 70s and 80s so banana seat bikes hardly existed then. I got ambitious and tore it all down thinking I would rebuild it, but I lost interest and ended up selling the parts for $200, and most all of them to Pedro on the Schwinn forum.

100_0609.jpg

100_0686.jpg

This one was the one that really got me into the Rat Rod line of thinking.

And as they say...the rest is history. 8)

100_0796.jpg

100_0882.jpg

Well the bike that started me with the "OLD BIKES" Is this my 69 panther. My baby.
DSCF0914.jpg

and i cant think of the 1 that started the customizing sickness.

My first rat rod was way back in the mid 60's :? I don't think it ever had a head badge. It was a 20" wheel bike that my dad built up for me, wasn't too long after that I tore it down and swapped out some parts from another bike, then another. I have always had bikes around and have always worked on them. By the early 80's I got away from builds and by the early 90's I about quit cycling :shock: Just got back into it strong in the past 3-4 years. I have probably been thru 200 bikes over the years...

Aaron 8)

When the wife and I decided we wanted some cool old cruisers to ride around town we weren't having any luck finding anything old. We ended up going to Target and buying us each a new Schwinn cruiser. We stripped them down, had them powder coated and replaced most components and added new ones. My bike I chopped a little.

chop.jpg

green_goblin.jpg

very first bike ever that got me addicted for life..

no pics sad to say.

it was early 1970s . neighbor kids had gotten brand new bicycles and decided to give me and my brother thier old ones (which were only a year old ) i wound up with a super clean blue metalflake 3 speed schwinn chopper. even had the meatflake blue banana seat , rear slick, tall sissybar. that was my first love as far as 2 wheels went.

This is the one that got me into my current phase of building bikes. A work in progress, it was stolen before I finished it and this is the only picture I took.

P1010042.jpg

Latest posts

Back