Western Flyer Info Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Brand new to the forum and I hope I make you proud with my first vintage bicycle purchase. Cruising the yard sales this morning, in search of camping gear, I found this beauty and couldn't pass it up. I thought my 6 year old son would love it and he did! He thinks it's amazing! Any info about it, for personal knowledge, would be great! I have a sense I will be looking for others due to that instant feeling of excitement when I was walking away with it! Thank you so much for any help.

I'm not sure how to upload photos without a url, directly from my computer. So, I will give the best explanation I can. This bike is a solid tire kids bike with the writing ''Western Flyer" and "Coaster Brake" on the chain gaurd. The seat stay is forked to the rear, from the top of the seat tube and a metal seat to top it. Its is a single down tube that also acts as the chain stay, starting center of the head tube down. the front of the head tube has a sticker that says "Western Auto" "Western Flyer" on it.

pujuvagu.jpg
eju6u3ur.jpg
py8a5e8y.jpg
8y9ure4a.jpg
yryjumu8.jpg
4a9ysape.jpg
ynavy8en.jpg
a9avava6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to RRB!
Cool find. It looks like it shares some features of a WF kids bike that I had last year. I would guess 1950s-60s. Great condition! Not really any major value, but awesome for you kid.
Have fun!

Super nice condition. Most of those kids bikes were direct drive with no coaster so yours is a cut above. Those little bikes are usually beat to death when you find them. Great find. Gary

That's nice to know. I thought it looked to be in fairly good condition but am still very much an amateur.

Cool little bike.

Still looks like a direct drive but with some funky brake that is actuated directly from the cranks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cool little bike.

Still looks like a direct drive but with some funky brake that is actuated directly from the cranks.

Why would it say "coaster brake" on the guard if it was direct drive? Gary

It does have a metal, flat plate that is actuated against the tire by pushing backwards on the crank. An arm runs from the crank to that plate. Anybody have an idea of the year this bike might be?

It may be hard to tell the year. Those plastic pedals look newer but could be replacements. Western Flyer appears to use this same basic frame for many years, it is often called a sidewalk bike.

Looks like a 14" Western Flyer from late 50's through mid 60's
1959 version. https://www.flickr.com/photos/zazdatabaz/5852345894/in/set-72157627400660071
1962 version(upper left corner) https://www.flickr.com/photos/zazdatabaz/8093198723/in/set-72157627400660071
1965 version(lower left) https://www.flickr.com/photos/zazdatabaz/7044490771/in/set-72157627400660071

So cool to know! Thanks.
Yeah, out of the models I was looking at, it was confusing because of the single down tube. I couldn't find one with just a single down tube.

They were called convertibles, as that to bar was removable.

Back