welding practice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ola! Besides commenting on other people's bikes, have spent the last several months building a recumbent for welding practice! Got the plans from the atomic zombie web site. It is made from two cheap huffy mountain bikes that I got at the thrift store. Graylock has built a similar one and posted it here.
Here is the frame partially constructed.
recumbent002.jpg
recumbent001.jpg

Now a rolling frame!
recumbent003.jpg

Next, in riding condition!
dadbike1.jpg

Finally, after riding it around for a few weeks to make sure the welds didn't break, bondo and paint and a little pin stripe tape! Rides sweet!
recumbent009.jpg
recumbent010.jpg

Really learned a lot from this one. Probably will build a jig next time. It is ever so slightly crooked, but you can't tell while riding it. Planning on stretching an old Schwinn next when I find a frame.

Looks good!...............Now if you can talk Graylock into painting his......

Thanks Kota! Can't speak for Graylock but I think he would rather glue plaid fabric to his bike rather than paint it! :lol:

Nice looking bike Mikek. I know that it rides nice. I put a lot of miles on mine. As far as painting mine, I'm not done yet. I'm thinking about putting a 2-cycle motor on the back, besides I have a few old scallop bags kicking around that I may glue on :lol: .

KOTA I hear your not painting your Crumpet build. Throw some duct tape on it and said Red Green showed you how :lol:

GL

Unclekudzu: Have been using a MIG welder that I bought from Northern Industrial tools. .030" flux wire. The welds are a little rough. I intend to get a tank of Argon/CO2 to see if the welds come out any smoother.

Graylock said:
Nice looking bike Mikek. I know that it rides nice. I put a lot of miles on mine. As far as painting mine, I'm not done yet. I'm thinking about putting a 2-cycle motor on the back, besides I have a few old scallop bags kicking around that I may glue on :lol: .

KOTA I hear your not painting your Crumpet build. Throw some duct tape on it and said Red Green showed you how :lol:

GL
Graylock: Just kidding about the painting, of course! :) Adding a two cycle motor...interesting. Might have to try that!

Back