traded 2 for 4 HERCULES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go...
"Hercules
A division of B.C.C. until merged with Raleigh as part of the TI takeover in 1960, Hercules was a major competitor of Raleigh, with a strong sporting image. They sponsored popular racers, most particularly Ken Joy and Eileen Sheridan. Hercules made their own 3-speed hubs, which were pretty-much identical to the older Sturmey-Archer AW. Hercules hubs continued to use threaded drivers long after Sturmey-Archer abandoned them.
Raleigh-built "AMF-Hercules" models are fairly common. They were distributed by AMF (American Machine & Foundry.)"

This is from Sheldon Brown.

Must be why I didn't recognize that head badge, it's from the later Raleigh-AMF days? It's a great looking frame you've got.
My Herc has the same problem, the only way to date the Birmingham ones is on that rear hub, which has been replaced with a Bendix and a few parts from a later Schwinn. It's ironic that Hercules built six and a half million bikes but finding good solid history on them is TOUGH!

On second thought you might take a really good look at that head badge, try to determine if it's instead from a very very early Herc.

Thanks bro, I've been racking my brain trying to find info on it. I agree it is a killer looking frame and I got some cool plans for it. I'm wanting to go board-tracker style with it. Trying to decide on a color antique white with colored lugs, raw, or flat black and ratty.

That is one sweet looking frame. i think its a US specific frame.

Being colonised by the Brits, we are one of the big British bike market from the 40's onwards, strictly diamond frame. these are working bikes, with oversize rear racks and heavy duty stands. they are used to carry rubber, produce, etc. we consume almost all major British brand until Raleigh took over most of them and by then (i think from 60 onwards) Raleigh was the only brand available - with the occasional Hopper, Humber, Rudge, Phillips, etc. I've been reading a lot on British bike history lately and AMF is the distributor for Raleigh in the US so most bike will carry AMF on its badges or stamped on the frame.

i just got myself a hercules today :p . not in good shape and missing a lot of its original parts. What's very different though is the headbadge. Ours is round with HC (Hercules Cycles - they also built motorcycles) in the middle. Chainring has the word HERCULES cut into it. Use Google image, you'll find out about the difference. Its normal to find mix parts from the Raleigh catalog after take over period.

Oh, i thought it was odd but mine has the same bent fork syndrome. i can't verify at time of this writing if it is actually shaped so. from my knowledge only 28" Herc came to our shores while mine is a 26. I'm trying to dig some infos from the oldtimers.

Well I got tired of sanding so I got it smooth and went flat black, here's pics. It's not done but I did get a cool Wright's seat on a Raleigh bike I just got in, my cam batteries are dead or I'd have more pics.

P9170013.jpg

P9170014.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein said:
outskirtscustoms said:
antique white with colored lugs, raw, or flat black and ratty.
Hmmm.....antique white you say...what color were you thinking for the lugs?

Just doing my Friday brainstorming and looking for fodder :roll:

Dr. T

I was thinking antique white with dark crimson red lugs but I just went all flat black instead.

decora said:

Being colonised by the Brits, we are one of the big British bike market from the 40's onwards, strictly diamond frame. these are working bikes, with oversize rear racks and heavy duty stands. they are used to carry rubber, produce, etc. we consume almost all major British brand until Raleigh took over most of them and by then (i think from 60 onwards) Raleigh was the only brand available - with the occasional Hopper, Humber, Rudge, Phillips, etc. I've been reading a lot on British bike history lately and AMF is the distributor for Raleigh in the US so most bike will carry AMF on its badges or stamped on the frame.

i just got myself a hercules today :p . not in good shape and missing a lot of its original parts. What's very different though is the headbadge. Ours is round with HC (Hercules Cycles - they also built motorcycles) in the middle. Chainring has the word HERCULES cut into it. Use Google image, you'll find out about the difference. Its normal to find mix parts from the Raleigh catalog after take over period.

Oh, i thought it was odd but mine has the same bent fork syndrome. i can't verify at time of this writing if it is actually shaped so. from my knowledge only 28" Herc came to our shores while mine is a 26. I'm trying to dig some infos from the oldtimers.

Mine is also a 26. I really doubt the fork would be that way from the factory but stranger things have happened. I tried to bend my forks back and it's pretty tough, it definitely took some force to bend them.

decora said:

Mine is also a 26. I really doubt the fork would be that way from the factory but stranger things have happened. I tried to bend my forks back and it's pretty tough, it definitely took some force to bend them.

outskirtscustoms said:

i'll post a pic in the next few days of my fork.

I had a Nottingham made 69 Hercules with a curved top tube, but the rest was the standard diamond frame, yours is the first completely curved frame I've seen. I took my Herc with me when I visited Cuba while in the Navy, but was called home due to family sickness, so it probably wound up at the bottom of Guantanamo Bay. Everyone wanted off that ship, and anyone leaving early paid the price. Even though I was still assigned to that ship, morale was pretty bad. That was in 1992. That bike had a 3 speed shifter on the top tube and was bright red with perfect chrome. If I see any of those guys, I'll still ask where the "heck" my bike is.

As for yours, it must be one of the first AMF bikes, made in Nottingham, but it sure looks like a Birmingham Herc, the forks look just like mine, judging by the crown. The frame lugs look Birmingham also. I've seen thousands of Hercules bikes, I've never seen that style frame. I did a google search, didn't even see a bike like my 69 model. 99% are the diamond frame.

Yeah I've looked and looked and all I see are the straight tube diamond frames. I have yet to see one like mine. I know the head-badge says Birmingham England but it might be original might not. I'm going to put it back on and run with it, I also just got a Raleigh that is diamond frame made in Nottingham England. Had a cool leather Wrights seat on it that is also made in Birmingham so it went right on the Hercules. I'm thinking maybe this was one of the bikes leftover in the Birmingham Hercules factory when AMF came in to the picture so they just threw their AMF label on the Birmingham Hercules and shipped it to the US. Kinda like Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon. Same car new name.

Here's a few pics of that seat. It has a very nice oldschool look to it. and actually pretty comfy.

P9170016.jpg

P9170034.jpg

I know my shop is a mess, but you try cramming 28 full and 2 half bikes in a shed with 2 trailers and tools.

Here's pics of the rear hub, threaded cog and all.
P9180035.jpg

P9180036.jpg

and I got my tail light installed today
P9180039.jpg

I tell you what guys it's amazing the difference between riding this and riding a cruiser like my bootlegger I been getting spoiled with the spring seat and big balloon tires to cushion the ride. This bike is a stripped down bare bones bike. A piece of leather to sit on and no give for bumps. It is a blast to ride though.

The trick is to keep your weight on the pedals. I used to be able to do that, about 80 lbs ago. :D

Wildcat said:
The trick is to keep your weight on the pedals. I used to be able to do that, about 80 lbs ago. :D
Yeah it's a great feeling to ride an old bike like this, It's got that English racing bike feel to it. I found myself leaning into corners and hitting the Apex every time without even thinking about it......lol

Back