Thought I'd pass this along

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our area the amount of dealers willing to do anything more than sell new bikes is really thin. One of my best friends is a prominent name in the bicycle dealers history of Michigan and he doesn't want to take the time to check parts for me or answer question, but he does want to sell me a new bike! I don't need a new bike! :x And he doesn't want to sell me "special" parts, so I guess he doesn't have the time to make money from me. I'd pretty much given up hope of finding a freak/rat friendly dealership. Then earlier this year I met this guy! :shock:

On the http://forum1.freakbikenation.com/ we have a new member that has combined the best of both worlds! He owns a bicycle shop that does full bike restorations and is Freak/Rat bike friendly! He goes by the screen name of "Grindo" but his name is Eric. His shop is:
Cycleworks
900 West Fourteen Mile Road
Clawson MI 48017
(248)435-4200
http://www.cycleworks.biz

I know some of you may have some parts that he's searching for and I thought it might be worth your while to get ahold of him. He may also be able to help you connect with some of those hard to find things you're looking for.

Eric is also into the older BMX bikes and is always looking for that type of stuff also.

But best of all, Eric and his shop, are Freaks and Rats! We met him at the Ann arbor Bike Show and ... Because of our Freak and rat bikes, he invited us to ride in the 4th of July parade. In this short amount of time Cycle works has done many things for the FreakBike movement. Everything from putting out pamphlets on his counter to hooking us up with parts, to an upcoming ..... well I won't spoil the suprise! :mrgreen:

I know that he's planning on invading Canada with us next July. Also I've heard rumors that over the winter, there maybe be a few Rat/Freak bikes built during the slow days by the Cycle Works gang!

Any of you guys looking for a new bike? He also carries them, so give him a hollar no matter what direction you're thinking of going!

Thanks,
Chainsaw

That's cool. Makes a huge difference if the shop staff, regardless of the business, are total enthusiasts and do it because they love to. Be it bikes, guns, scooters, cars, books, whatever.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron and you're right! Gotta love what you do or you'll make others miserable with ya.

After starting this post I got to thinking about how many other bike shops are out there that are willing to take the extra steps to support what we do and are just not there for the money.

So how about everyone turning this into a directory of the Rattiest/Freakiest bike friendly shops in the world! And I mean this in a postive way! :p

Here's 3 of my favorites in our area. They are in the oredr of my favoriteism.

Cycleworks
900 West Fourteen Mile Road
Clawson MI 48017
(248)435-4200
http://www.cycleworks.biz

West Gamble Store
146 W. Vienna St.
Clio, Mich.
1 810 686-0920

House of wheels
814 W. main St.
Owosso, Mich.
1 989 725-8373

So how 'bout the rest of you?

Hey I think my shop falls under this section. Look how deep i'm into it. :mrgreen:

Victory Cycle Co.
(765) 452-9717
Kokomo, IN
We will be moving soon, thats why no address.

Thanks Troy

Yeah jim i stopped in the cycleworks shop, Didnt mention the fbm, was looking for tires. Didnt have what i wanted in stock :(

Ricky don't know what tires you're looking for but I'm sure Eric can get them. He's willing to help with getting most anything. If I know you, the tires your looking for are not gonna be an instock item at most stores and probably not even the Schwinn stores 20 years ago. Am I right? Or are you coming into the new era of tires? :shock: :mrgreen:

Next time you get a chance talk to Eric and let him know you FBM, he may give ya a tour of his cool stuff! He does have a real Phantom floating around there somewhere not to mention some of the hottest BMX's from the early days!

Chainsaw

it is a shame more shops dont deal with cruiser and kustom things. we do real well specializing in such things and as these other shops have as well we stock a good selection of cruiser stuff. sure most of you have checked out the site but here it goes collegecyclery.biz
the new web site should be up soon.

Us over here in SoCal have a shop similar to the one you've described. First, is the staff, they are very friendly and very knowledgeable about bikes overall. But imo, they're niche is in restoring vintage bikes and building these "freak" bikes. They seem to know all the tricks of the trade and what works and what doesnt... Even if it doesnt work, they'll find a way. And are more than happy to help you along your builds. Its a shop like this and their service that encourages me to keep this bike thing up.
Even with pricing... If they are a little more expensive than a bigger shop, Id feel a lot better supporting a local/small shop just because of their passion for bikes and their hospitality. They really make you feel at home there. :)
And to add, they not only do this restore/freak bike biz... The owner along with other enthusiast host a monthly soap box car race in traditional "Run What You Brung" fashion. And this is aside from a twice a year events they have in the back parking lot of their shop. Good times.
Check it all out for yourself.

The shop: http://www.geocities.com/atomiccycles/
The events (Choppercabras): http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... percabras+
The races: http://www.sfvisbf.com/ (Lots of great video footage from past races in here)

Chainsaw said:
Ricky don't know what tires you're looking for but I'm sure Eric can get them. He's willing to help with getting most anything. If I know you, the tires your looking for are not gonna be an instock item at most stores and probably not even the Schwinn stores 20 years ago. Am I right? Or are you coming into the new era of tires? :shock: :mrgreen:

Next time you get a chance talk to Eric and let him know you FBM, he may give ya a tour of his cool stuff! He does have a real Phantom floating around there somewhere not to mention some of the hottest BMX's from the early days!

Chainsaw

Idk i asked if he had it, I was looking for a s-7 schwinn tire, It wasnt a regular 26x1-3/4 i needed a 26x1-3/4-2, I went to like 5 diffrent shops asking for it, they all told me i was crazy and they didnt make that size, So i didnt bother asking, Oh i did see the "REAL" Phantom, Major coolness. I ended up finding that tire im showing alot of the guys who told me i was nuts lol. Yeah its a nice shop.

My shop is one of two in the kansas City area that specializes in the custom, chopper and lowrider stuff. I'm also a full family shop and carry eight brands of bikes. I also sponsor a local BMX team. I carry Trek, Schwinn,Raleigh,GT, Mongoose, Diamondback,Redline, and Sun Recumbents. I also deal with F&R and El Gordo Lowrider Companies. If your in the KC aera stop by. My shop is Peddlers Bike Shop 139 East Lexington Independence, Missouri 816-254-6855 If you cant find a bike with me your not looking hard enough. PS I try to stock the S-6 and S-7 tires all the time and if I dont have them I can get them and I ship anywhere in the U S

Latest posts

Back