The "Real Thing"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my first two "real" bikes ........ ie Old and American

March 1952 Schwinn

FR.jpg

Unknown year Seers

Seers_1.jpg

Both are 24"

Both were "found" on epay ........... not a real interesting place to find them (or cheap), but getting them shipped to Long Beach CA, packed in a container to Australia and then friend-relayed to my place is adding to the degree of difficulty.

My Boys (8 and 11) have pictures up on the fridge already, and I just added the printouts from the FedEx tracker ........... they are dying to get their hands on them, but it will be a couple of months before they get here.

Khye (8) asked "Can't we just fly over and bring them back on the plane" .......... ummmm ........ "NO"

They are outgrowing their twenty inch canterlever bikes, so a couple of vintage 24's seemed like the next step.

I will store the wheels, tires, bars, seats etc away for the future, and strip a couple of electra's I have to set them up with modern wheels with 3 speed coaster Nexus hubs, new cruiser seats, bars, grips etc ......... but leave them in the original Patina.

I am still trying to work out what tires to use on them. I have found a source for Schwinn 24 x 2.1 whitewalls here, but am going to try and squeeze a 24 x 3 Fati-O on the back ...........anyone tried one on a 24 inch midleweight ??

Another option I am considering is a 26 inch front wheels and springer ?

While I wait for them to turn up we are messing around with a couple more twenty inch bikes

Back