The Green Monster (nerd bike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No i dont like the Red Sox lol
I switched around my 72 Varsity with the 26" frame its 35" from the ground to the top tube
seems its kinda rare but so huge there is no market for them well after riding it I decided this one I am keeping but I want a more upright position so I added handlebars and brake levers off a 70 breeze added a bigger saddle,mirror,bell, a rack and bag and will be adding a cyclometer :)
oh and they call these lightweights? hahaha this thing weighs more than the 38 Schwinn straightbar with leafspring front fork I built lol
P5270003-1.jpg

P5270002-2.jpg

Very nerdy...and yet very cool!

Love the bell and the mirror.

I wondered if you would switch out the handlebars.

I would have done the same. :wink:

Yeah mine is heavy too. My plans for my varsity include adding a bottom bracket conversion kit and an alloy 3 piece crank, alloy wheels, alloy handlebars, and these killer brakes I got from an Italian road bike. Take off the child seat! LOL and a paint job in the original color with all the original lettering. Oh and I love your neck with the "S" on it. In fact I bought an entire bike at a swap meet for $10 just because it had that neck and I wanted it for my varsity. Dont worry though the rest of the bike gave up parts for various projects. If you look at my tall bike, the yellow forks and the yellow seat post brace are from that bike. I would call what I want to do to my Varsity a "resto-mod". Do you know how to decode the numbers to tell what year the bike is? Sorry to hi-jack your thread! Your bike looks cherry!

hey that's cool. I found out mine is a July 1980. I thought it was older than that. Thanks for the link!

Hooch said:
its 35" from the ground to the top tube

Now that is one TALL bike! The top tube is higher than the seat on my KLR650 :shock:

I like what you've done to this one - so far - cause we all know how often you switch parts around LOL

I'll check back tomorrow to what's changed overnight :mrgreen:

-Mp

That red one is pretty too! The only thing that strikes me as looking out of proportion on these bikes is the head badge. Did you ever notice how small it looks on that looong head tube?

Latest posts

Back