Tank, frame, chainguard and now a fork!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: First a tank, then a frame, now a chainguard!

kingfish254 said:
Terry66 said:
kingfish254 said:
You are right about the patina match.
I love those graphics. It would be fun to re-create something with the feel of those graphics on a future build.

Yeah, something "Buck Rogers" like MoFaux, but a dirtier rat version?

Oh man that gave me a cool idea. Maybe I can find a metal 60s era jet plane toy and cut it down the middle, then mount each half on the sides of a tank.

Oooohh...a Buck Rogers Bike Build Off! :shock: :lol:

Something like this (but not worth $130).

$T2eC16ZHJIIE9qTYLSssBQjHcqcwVg~~60_57.JPG

kingfish254 said:
Terry66 said:
kingfish254 said:
You are right about the patina match.
I love those graphics. It would be fun to re-create something with the feel of those graphics on a future build.

Yeah, something "Buck Rogers" like MoFaux, but a dirtier rat version?

Oh man that gave me a cool idea. Maybe I can find a metal 60s era jet plane toy and cut it down the middle, then mount each half on the sides of a tank.
That's a great idea!!!!!!

I almost forgot....I bought this from Chuck to use on this build....I love the Western Auto logo and the Western Flyer name on the face!

wf_speedo.jpg

Slick! I want to see you peg that baby at 260!

was that the chain guard on ebay if so glad you ended up getting it
I was going to get it for my jet flow project but ended picked up a similar styled chain guard from a sabre flite
By the way I love the direction your going with the bike (starting off similarly to what i have planed for my jet flow)
so far it kind of has a low cost x-53 look to it so i think you definitely need to use the standard fork with truss rods
one thing i highly suggest using if you can get one is the x-53 delta light
5679674193_779127eb22.jpg

the tail shape of the light matches perfectly to the painting on the tank as well as the rear of the chain guard

Nice light! Yeah, that was the one on ebay. I have the same guard for a Western Flyer, but it has been painted red with house paint. Someone tried to get the paint off and the graphics are starting to show underneath. It was originally a Western Flyer guard and it was originally red. With some work it would be nice for a rat build. I was going to use it, but this one has nicer graphics that better match the tank patina. Its the same guard with the fin on the tail. I might sell it or I might paint it, modify the mounts and use it on my military WF build.

Here is the guard I was planning to use....People are stupid. I mean someone painted over a killer graphic with red paint. Looks like someone later tried to clean it back up. I think I could have cleaned it up and used it.

wf_guard.jpg

Some restorer in 25 years will be posting, all confused: "Well, it's a Murray built bike, with a JC Higgins badge, Western Flyer tank, and Murray Aeroline chainguard, yet it all seems to match!" :mrgreen: -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Some restorer in 25 years will be posting, all confused: "Well, it's a Murray built bike, with a JC Higgins badge, Western Flyer tank, and Murray Aeroline chainguard, yet it all seems to match!" :mrgreen: -Adam

Yeah, they'll just figure the guy at the Murray factory had a bit too much to drink that day and went crazy in the parts bin! Seriously though, I was planning to make it as WF as possible. I am going to swap out the badge and I already got the WF speedo. The chainguard will have to be oddball for now. If I can find one that really matches, I will....but hey, it's gonna be a ratted out bike anyway.

The ebay chainguard came in and you would not believe what a perfect color/patina match it is to the tank. I mean other than the chainguard is a Murray badged, you would be hard pressed to tell they didn't come off the same bike.

I've been thinking about the front fork. My Grumpy bike uses an X53 fork and my latest military WF is using a beehive. I had decided that I was going to go with a nice regular fork with built in truss mounts. I just like how clean and mean those forks look. I was surfing the buy sell and found this set from Dogdart! Pretty much the only thing I need now is a set of 24" black wheels with a nexus three speed.

huffman_fork.jpg

Look for this one in the build section soon!

dogdart said:
You could leave that black , and add some red darts 8)

Yeah, it is staying black. In fact, I might try to match the frame to the fork and patina it up a little. Shouldn't be too difficult to do. I'm waiting till I am ready to start building it before I do anything. I'm keeping my eye out for a frame in the original black/white color. I figure if I find one before I start the build, I'll grab it.

Back