Tales of the in-laws attic...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know of my Board Tracker Project (which is getting more and more embarrasing when I view everyone elses pics). My father in law said there is a bunch of bikes in his attic that were my brothers in laws and I was welcome to them.

Since I went with the wife and kids in the Cherokee I didn't bring any back but I did take a 10-spd wheel in hopes of making a Fixed gear out of it. Alas the one I chose turns out has bent axle... bummer. Also what kind of tool do you need to remove the gear stack? Something called a cone wrench? What is that and how much?

Anyway I digress. In the pile were two bikes I must have. One is an old straight bar styled classic like a 26" but with 20" wheels, ape hangers, and a long (stock) frame. Weird bike. Rough but I can work with it. I'm thinking 24" wheels will fit. Can't wait to get it and post pics and see if anyone recognizes it. The other is a family heirloom. Which I won't take or do anything too. It is a very small powder blue replica of an Ordinary (also known as a High Wheeler or Penny Farthing) clown bike made in Italy. It's maybe 30" high from the ground to the top of the bars. My wifes Grandfather was a Shriner and a Clown for the Shrine circus. He used to ride this little beast. I have never seen anything like it. It's old but not ancient... my guess is 60's or 70's. The front wheel is about 20" and the rear around 6" . It has a caliper brake on the rear wheel. It's cute as heck. I'll post pics eventually didn't have the camera with me... my bad.

Nice of your father-in-law to offer up the old bikes and considerate of you to be concerned of the family heirloom. That little highwheeler should be hang on a wall and displayed everyone to enjoy not keep in the attic to collect dust. If you don't put it on your wall get your in-laws to put it on thier wall with a typed story about it and maybe a picture or two. I know I would.

have your seen "rideable replicas" highwheelers, not cheap, im guessin anything close close to it would be better left intact, if not just for the family history of it (im sure you know this workin at a museum and all tho)

The first bike you are describing doesn't happen to look like this does it?

26-20.jpg

I've spotted a little hi wheel that sounds just like the one your describing at an antique store. I don't want to pay what they're asking though. If I recall the headbadge said made in Italy.

kid_hi_wheeler.jpg

Randy no on the first bike and exactly it on the High Wheel! That's the the wee beast! The first bike has a curved top tube with a straight bar under it.

Also what kind of tool do you need to remove the gear stack? Something called a cone wrench? What is that and how much?

Cone wrenches are what are used to tighten/loosen the bearing cones. AKA the convexly curved cylinders that hold the ball bearings. AKA, a nut with a curved side.

I don't know what the tool is called to remove a cassette, but it fits into the grooves on the insde of the cassette. You can see the grooves in the cassette on the below page.
http://harriscyclery.net/itemlist.cfm?category=110
This page shows freewheels, which also have the grooves.
http://harriscyclery.net/itemlist.cfm?category=117
Here are some cassette pulling tools.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/cassette.html

the difference in cone wrenches from normal wrenchs are that they are thinner so you can get into tighter spots (like between a hub and a stay), 13mm and a 15mm are bout all i run into on coaster hubs, helps to have 2 of each or 2 double sided (13 on one end 15 on the other) look up http://www.parktools.com on the net and theres bout every bicycle tool youll ever need, theres off brand stuff too thatll work fine. i think the park tools cone wrenches are $10 each but there are cheaper ones outthere, the also have the casette "keys" too.

Well cool I learned something new. How do I determine what tool I need for asst. department store 10-spd wheels from the 70's and 80's? In the interest of saving $$ I am trying to stick with the 26" by 1 3/8 rims my bike came with. How can I tell what make cassette or hub it is so I can get the correct tool? I will go study it to see if I can find markings.

An old ten speed will have a freewheel. The park website explains a lot of it. Old schwinns take an FR-4. It's a big splined or toothed socket that fits over the end of the axle. The sockets cost about 8 dollars.

Back