stupid frustrating questions!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to put grips on i spray the bar and the inside of the grips with cheap wood polish, that stuff is cheap, wicked greasy and slippery, and it smells good! takes a minute to dry, but it works great. i also use a small screwdriver to lift up the edge of grips that i want off and spray that stuff in there to get 'em to slide off.

ive never lubed a bicycle tire to get it on or off, im not sure what your talking about,
fast eddie outty

fast eddie said:
to put grips on i spray the bar and the inside of the grips with cheap wood polish, that stuff is cheap, wicked greasy and slippery, and it smells good! takes a minute to dry, but it works great. i also use a small screwdriver to lift up the edge of grips that i want off and spray that stuff in there to get 'em to slide off.

ive never lubed a bicycle tire to get it on or off, im not sure what your talking about,
fast eddie outty
I was talking about getting the bead to pop in place so you dont have a low spot when your tire spins after it is aired.

I find that just wiggling/squeezing the walls of the tires after they are about 1/3 full of air (after mounting) that they "seat" themsleves pretty well. i think the key is to fill your tires up a bit at a time and just work the sidewalls back and forth while you fill up the rest. I use a compressor to blow off grips, then a bit of windex for grip and tight tire installation. Good Luck!

I find the Kenda S-7's are the hardest to mount. Both the 20 and 26" versions,,,,especially on rusty rims.

Old mountain bike trick,.:Get yourself the cheapest airspray you can find, the type that get sticky when its on your hand. spray a little on the handlebar, when its wet the grip will go in easy then when the spray dry's it will stick you grip to the bar..no grip slippage after that...(takes a while to dry)

cman said:
I find the Kenda S-7's are the hardest to mount. Both the 20 and 26" versions,,,,especially on rusty rims.

cman, this is some info I need! I bought a Kenda S-7 for my Stingray a few weeks ago. I have tried and tried, but cannot get the bead to fully seat. One side seats ok, but the other has about a 6" section that will just not pop up. I have tried soapy water as well as a special tire lube I use at my work (for car tires). I have even put excess air pressure in the sucker, but still a no go.

I finally called the place I bought it from and they are going to send me a new one. Any insights here?

Thanks,
Dan

Danimal, I have rims that have been like that especially with the center of the tire wobbly back and forth. The best is to try all techniques and then air them up and ride them for a while. Hopefully the rim and tire will work out their troubles

windex for the grips on or off, and air the tires up slowly to set the bead, like 10 psi at first, then work the high spots out by squeezin the tire at the bead with your hand all the way around, another 10 psi and repeat, another 10 and repeat ...

thats what i do anyway, most of the time i just use my handpump for settin a new tire on a rim. the air compressors seems to "nail" the tires in place, especially if the weight of the bike is flattening the tire on the ground.

Back