UNLIMITED Stacey’s Mom aka the Tall-Goose

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondo

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
This is a project I’ve wanted to do for a while now. I just needed to find the right donor bike. I found this one on marketplace a few days ago for $15 fairly local. Cool. When I got there to pick it up yesterday she told me to just take it, she was tired of looking at it in the yard. Super cool.
IMG_1081.jpeg

It’s a 24” Mongoose full squish junker that’s been sitting outside for years. It’s worth what I paid for it and not much more. I’m going to build a fun and interesting bike that’s convertible from a chopper to a tall bike and back.
1715483876095.png

1715483896583.png

https://www.instructables.com/Transforming-Bicycle-Tall-Bike-to-Chopper-Bike/

It took a fair amount of trimming and fiddling to get things set up and straight/square-ish. The 3” angle is just there for a straight platform and reference. I didn’t use clamps or jig it up in any way. I just used my chalk line for a reference string and basically just eyeballed it. It’s actually fairly straight too.
IMG_1090.jpeg
IMG_1091.jpeg

I should have taken the time to dig out my good Hobart. The old Harbor Freight cheapo mig was handy so I did that. The welds are pretty ugly. Strong but, wow. The Hobart would have been much better. But, if you’re not a good welder you need to have a good grinder. Also Harbor Freight.
Anyway, several hours later, I’m pretty happy with the result.
IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1093.jpeg
IMG_1094.jpeg
IMG_1095.jpeg
IMG_1096.jpeg
IMG_1097.jpeg
IMG_1098.jpeg

There’s quite a bit left to do. I need to order some struts for up/down action and figure out attachment points. A few things to clean up, gusset, etc.

I had wanted to get after the forks today too but ran out of time. I’m going to use the clamp and tubes from the Goose and the lower sliders and tubes from the old seized up Rock Shox. This gives me the 1” steer tube I need and also converts it to a 26” wheel. They will be joined with a couple 2’ sections of pipe. This is about all I can do until I get struts. This has been really fun so far. Should be a fun bike too.
IMG_1084.jpeg

This is a project I’ve wanted to do for a while now. I just needed to find the right donor bike. I found this one on marketplace a few days ago for $15 fairly local. Cool. When I got there to pick it up yesterday she told me to just take it, she was tired of looking at it in the yard. Super cool.
View attachment 265227
It’s a 24” Mongoose full squish junker that’s been sitting outside for years. It’s worth what I paid for it and not much more. I’m going to build a fun and interesting bike that’s convertible from a chopper to a tall bike and back.
View attachment 265231
View attachment 265232

https://www.instructables.com/Transforming-Bicycle-Tall-Bike-to-Chopper-Bike/

Subscribed!
I have this instructable in my favorites list since forever! Great to finally watch someone building it. If somewhere in the future I have access to a good workshop with grinder and welding equipment, I'll try my shot at it as well, but until then I'll watch this one closely!

Subscribed!
I have this instructable in my favorites list since forever! Great to finally watch someone building it. If somewhere in the future I have access to a good workshop with grinder and welding equipment, I'll try my shot at it as well, but until then I'll watch this one closely!
It is a fun project. It can be done pretty cheap too. So far I just need to buy the struts and some long cables. It should be a riot to ride too!

Super cool! I've seen a couple of videos of these over the years, and they always seem so off the wall. I don't think anyone has built one on RRB before. It looks like you've made a great deal of progress in a short time. Can't wait to see this come to life.

I read this as "struts for up/down action figure". :bigsmile:

Which, I guess, is pretty much what it will be. :nod::wink1::nerd:

Now my only question is, "Who's Stacey?"
Action figure, maybe I should call it GI Jane?

The name came from that old 90s(?) pop song that was playing in my head for some inexplicable reason while I was slicing and dicing. Now it’s stuck in my head so I think I’m might transition the name to something else.

Super cool! I've seen a couple of videos of these over the years, and they always seem so off the wall. I don't think anyone has built one on RRB before. It looks like you've made a great deal of progress in a short time. Can't wait to see this come to life.
Yeah, I haven’t seen one built on here. There’s only a handful I’ve found on the internet. I know @GuitarlCarl has one in the works. That build should be wild. :cool2:

Action figure, maybe I should call it GI Jane?

The name came from that old 90s(?) pop song that was playing in my head for some inexplicable reason while I was slicing and dicing. Now it’s stuck in my head so I think I’m might transition the name to something else.

1715522864565.png

My man's coming in HAWT! Can't wait to see the progress on this build. I've also had that transforming chopper/tall bike video saved for years

Yeah, I haven’t seen one built on here. There’s only a handful I’ve found on the internet. I know @GuitarlCarl has one in the works. That build should be wild. :cool2:
It's on my list of to do's and I've got a bike stashed for it. But I'm not building it yet. I have seen a couple mods for it though, mainly locking struts so you can lock it into the lower position for getting on and off. Also some adjustment on the mounts to facilitate riders of different weights, would be very handy.

It is a fun project. It can be done pretty cheap too. So far I just need to buy the struts and some long cables. It should be a riot to ride too!
I even have a (steel)frame ready for this in my stash...

Wow, great ideas! I have seen such a mythical project in action once.

That frame, despite the cheap price, looks very clean on the inside on your second thread-post. I have seen muchmuch worse.

Can't wait for more progress!

Back