Spray Painting...What do you guys use?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried using Dupli-color in cans, it was run like water or dust on 5 coats for even coverage, and then a falling feather would knock it loose. I don't know about using it with a gun. Their upholstery colors work great. Rustoleum does take hours to dry, but in a couple of days you can bounce a chain off it. Whatever works for you, use it! :wink:

The thing I hate with Rustoleum is having to wait so long if you want to redo something. Or if you want to do a multi color paint job, if you wait for it to dry and mask off an area to do another color, or to clear the whole thing, unless you wait forever, it will lift. I like it for a solid color with clear job as long as I can do it all in a couple of hours. It does hold up nice.

For an easy to use paint, I like Krylon. But it doesn't seam to hold up as well. Being able to re coat anytime is a big help.

How is the Duplicolor for re coat times?

For wheels, I scuff then spray with a adhesion promoter,paint then clear coat.My favorite rattle can is from Ace Hardware (the store brand)Both primer and finish.The cans are larger,moderately priced and most importanly the spray pattern is great.It seems to be under more pressure and gives great uniform coverage.It is all I will buy now. :wink:

BUMP!

I know I haven't posted on here in a super long time. My summer turned out quite different than I planned, and my summer project bike sat ignored for many more weekends than I planned. Just way too many weddings, showers, and out-of-town trips!

Anyway, I've made good progress on the bike aside from all that. It's all been broken down into pieces, I have the saddle all refinished, the frame all sanded and primed. I used DuPont etch primer, followed by DuPont acrylic primer.

What can I use now, as my base coat? I see a lot of you like Rust-Oleum...but WHICH Rust-Oleum? They have several sub-brands it seems like. Which ones can go over my acrylic primer?

I am losing my mind looking for DuPont paint, is why I ask. Their website sucks at telling you where to buy it. I really don't feel like calling around to a bunch of body shop guys and asking them where they get theirs. I can't even Google and find where distributors/stores are.

The reason I primed with DuPont is, my father in law is an old-school autobody guy and he recommended it and loves it. But he's in Chicago and can't tell me where to go in St. Louis. I was hoping to buy paint this weekend. Grr.

I am so excited to get this done. The fenders and rack (it's a mostly-postwar Western Flyer frankenbike) are not pleasing me too much....after my body filler and sanding, they're looking a bit lumpy under the primer. :( But the frame and fork look awesome. Maybe someday I will re-do the fenders and rack, but for now... GOSH I just want my old 40s bike to ride around, and the weather's turning cold already!

Thanks sensor, I saw that one but wasn't sure if that's an open-to-the-public store where I can buy rattlecans or what. I will give them a call.

Back