Sound Sytem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if I've asked this before. I can't recall.

Anyone know what would be involved to build a portable boom box/sound system thing. Something 12 volt that could be put on a trailer or trike.

I assume I would need a box, speakers, amplifier, 12v battery and a battery charger.

Questions I have...
Could I plug my Ipod into the amp?
What kind of battery would I need?
What would be the minimum speaker set up?

and of course I would like to do this the cheapest and simplest way.

Thanks.

aka_locojoe said:
Forgive me if I've asked this before. I can't recall.

Anyone know what would be involved to build a portable boom box/sound system thing. Something 12 volt that could be put on a trailer or trike.

I assume I would need a box, speakers, amplifier, 12v battery and a battery charger.

Questions I have...
Could I plug my Ipod into the amp?
What kind of battery would I need?
What would be the minimum speaker set up?

and of course I would like to do this the cheapest and simplest way.

Thanks.

simplest way to go would be to use
-SLA battery from alarm system
- use computer speaker system that use 12v power supply and remove the power supply to connect it directly to the battery, you just connectdirectly your ipod to them.
it would give you a good sound for cheap.

you could also use a car amplifier with car speakers and connect your ipo directly to the line input. but you will need more batteries since usually car amps draws more power than computer speakers...

feel free to ask technical questions, i'm a audio video technician.

how big or loud do you wanna go. seen a guy with 2 deep cell boat batterys nice big amp with 4 channels two 12's and two 6x9's it rocked. and yes he just pluged the rca cables into the amp from his MP3 player.

the bigger the amp the faster the batterys will discharge.

if i was going to do it like a 50 to 100 watt amp 2 6x9's

tartosuc gave you a good idea with the computer speaker system cause most come with a sub and highs and they are made to not use much power so it would last the longest on one charge

ok so for once in a while use. any car audio set up will do.

like one 12 and two 6x9's in the same box. everything can go in the box except the battery.

just thought of this one amp and sub all in one but you'll still need highs

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO- ... tml?page=5

or find this guy and buy his
cruising.jpg

A deep cycle would be best. They can be full discharged many times due to the thicker plates in them. They don''t offer as much cranking power but offer more power over an extended period.

aka_locojoe said:
cman said:
They don''t offer as much cranking power

So with a deep cycle I wouldn't be able to "crank it up!" :D
don't worry would will be able to crank up a sound system enough!

the deep cycle are not made to be used as a starter battery wich draws a lot of amps at one specific moment . but it has enough power to feed the car amps and a few speaker and crank it up!

Back