Should I use this chainring?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this late '60's-early '70's Stingray chainring cheap on ebay because I just like how the mag chainring looks, but I didn't realize how big it was. The original one on my rat is 46T. The other one is 52. I'm guessing that if I put the 52 on, there will be a huge difference and am thinking it's going to pedal way too hard. I'm just looking for some opinions if I should swap it out or not. I'm guessing I'm not going to end up using it and will probably try to sell it.
IMG_0992.JPG

You can put a larger cog on the rear (one speed?) to get your gear ratio the same as before. if it was just right then, adding the bigger chain wheel will require 2 more teeth on the cog to be nearly the same as original. If the hub has 18 teeth now, 20 teeth will get you the right ratio. If you want it easier to pedal, add another tooth to the rear. You'll need a longer chain.

You can put a larger cog on the rear (one speed?) to get your gear ratio the same as before. if it was just right then, adding the bigger chain wheel will require 2 more teeth on the cog to be nearly the same as original. If the hub has 18 teeth now, 20 teeth will get you the right ratio. If you want it easier to pedal, add another tooth to the rear. You'll need a longer chain.
Okay thanks! I don't know how to put rear hubs back together and I can't afford to have a shop put another cog on for me so I think I'll leave it alone and try to sell the mag.

Okay thanks! I don't know how to put rear hubs back together and I can't afford to have a shop put another cog on for me so I think I'll leave it alone and try to sell the mag.
That Schwinn chrome should shine up like new. I'd hang it in my shop.

Yeah I liked the rust, it would have looked cool on my rat. The back of it is very rusted though, I don't think the back would clean up very much. I don't have a shop though, I have to work on my bikes in the hallway lol.

Latest posts

Back