Shimano vs Suntour

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this is more of a road bike question but those guys give me the creeps and I know I can trust you folks.
I'm doing a city bike thing with an 86 Schwinn world sport (made by Giant) and it had some stock Shimano components on it. I have some Suntour stuff lying around...my guess is they are from the same era and were also stock. Is one better than the other? I saw Suntour stuff on slightly better bikes and Shimano on everything from quality stuff to department store rubbish.
I'm just wondering if it is worth my while to put on the suntour derailers or not. Would it make a difference? (They are slightly more shiny - which to me is a big deal :) )

Got any model numbers? Both companies made everything from entry level to high end stuff. Shimano always seemed to have a slight edge in the market, but Suntour made some very respectable components. All other things being equal, vintage Shimano parts are probably slightly easier to find, but comparable parts made by Shimano are probably going to be a little more expensive than their Suntour counterparts.

As far as performance, every Shimano part has a comparable Suntour part, and vice-versa. If historical accuracy is not an issue, just buy the highest level components by either manufacturer that you can get for a good price.

.... but comparable parts made by Shimano are probably going to be a little more expensive than their Suntour counterparts...

In my experience, these days, Suntour stuff has gotten to be soooo much more expensive. On the internet, anyway.

But, yeah, as Toeslider said, comparing the 2 brands doesn't make sense as much as comparing 2 particular groupsets. That being said, many ppl regard the Suntour stuff as being the finest at any given pricepoint, mostly b/c Suntour tried to undercut Shimano and Campy's stuff on price. The oft-repeated legend is that this backfired, b/c the bargain prices led consumers to think that the Suntour stuff must've been inferior if it was cheaper...

In closing, if the Suntour stuff you have is indexed, I'd skip it b/c the rear sprockets are spaced different between Suntour and the Shimano/SRAM stuff.... so, if you ever need a new freewheel or cassette, you can't just toss on a Shimano-compatible one b/c the shifting will skip and otherwise suck. If it's indexed, though, I'd rock the Suntour b/c I've always loved their components.

Depending on how old you're talking, a lot of it has to do with how desirable and hard to find a part is. Sometimes you see vintage parts selling for more than better parts from the same era, just because people want them to keep something "original".

I forgot about indexing issues too. Probably best to keep shifters and derailleurs in the same family.

I'm doing friction on it. I've decided to just use the stock stuff. Plus I can't find the suntour stuff I had. I do have some suntour bar end shifters I got at the co-op for 15 bucks, they sell for a ton more on ebay
Thanks for all your help
this is what I'm working on:

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/farkle30/media/9EDDBDC1-B596-44D5-8BFA-96FA4583F29E.jpg.html]
9EDDBDC1-B596-44D5-8BFA-96FA4583F29E.jpg
[/URL

I recall when Suntour barcons might fetch $10 on ebay. Now, they sell for more than brand new Shimano barcons. They're great shifters, but not worth the current market price. At $15, though, you got a steal. :rockout:

Good to know about Shimano vs Suntour, for some reason I though Suntour was Shimano's own bargain brand.
I have used plenty of Suntour gear in the past and it always performed great, but didn't realise it even came from a different company... I had better go check my bike pile later and see what treasures I can find...

Luke.

SR was Sakae Ringyo, a Japanese company that made stems, seatposts, and some cranks. Suntour was a subsidiary of Maeda Industries, and collaborated with Dia-Compe (brakes) and Sugino (cranks), both of which were Japanese companies at the time. (FWIW, sugino still is Japanese, and Dia-Compe makes a lot of stuff in Taiwan, but management is still in Japan.) In the late 80s, a Japanese company called Mori bought SR (which already had a plant in Taiwan, but was still a Japanese company) and a few years later, they bought Suntour as well. In the mid-90s, Mori sold SR and Suntour, along with a Taiwanese production facility, to a Taiwanese conglomerate. The only place I tend to see the Suntour name on current-production items is low-end suspension forks. Bummer, b/c if you're working on an older road or mountain bike and it has Suntour (or even Sakae/SR) components on it, chances are it was thoroughly decent-- and, at some pricepoints, great-- stuff.

Here is the finished (well, it's never finished) bike. I stayed with the Shimano derailures that came with the bike. Sorry I don't have a before but it was an gray 86 Schwinn world sport. Made by Giant

Back