screeeeeech....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a howling coaster brake...

it doesnt matter if you lock it up, or ease into it... the thing screams embarrassingly loud.

it is a new wheel (though a no name cheapie)
and i've taken it apart/repacked it.

does anyone know if and or how to fix this?

thanks!

oct.

Randy,

why yes... it is in fact a "hi stop" hub... :|

i had a nexus 3 that screeched also, but after a couple of times it stopped doing it. not the case with this one.

oct.

Take it apart and grind the groves on the brakes shoes some and repack with thick grease and see if that helps.

Bicyclerick said:
Take it apart and grind the groves on the brakes shoes some and repack with thick grease and see if that helps.

am i grinding the grooves off, so the shoe is smooth?
or grinding them deeper?

thanks,
oct.

I have a HI stop that sucks too. Completely shot, but I think I found a place with new internals.

it's a 26" 144 spoke...

it's brand new... i shouldnt have to be swapping guts... :|

any other brands make these, or are they all junk?

october said:
Bicyclerick said:

am i grinding the grooves off, so the shoe is smooth?
or grinding them deeper?

thanks,
oct.

deeper grooves...if you make them smooth it's like a car with glazed brake pads (noise)...and grease the shoes and inside the hub where the shoes contact...

Good Luck

was messing around with this wheel today...
swapped out the guts... still roaring when you coast, and still screeches when brakes are applied... :|

randy, do i remember you had some luck fixing one of these?
anyone else?

thanks!

oct.

october said:
was messing around with this wheel today...
swapped out the guts... still roaring when you coast, and still screeches when brakes are applied... :|

randy, do i remember you had some luck fixing one of these?
anyone else?

thanks!

oct.

I had a cheapo "Hi-stop" brand giving me trouble. I ended up replacing the guts with those out of a Shimano.

Latest posts

Back