Schwinn Tandem Bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lease some of my property to this older guy that runs cattle on it. He came by yesterday and said "I know you like to mess with bikes, and this was in a barn they were about to tear down so I thought you'd like it" - FOR FREE! Hooray, my first Tandem!

It's painted green, but used to be a pretty blue color.
Needs tires/tubes/chain & clean up more (i already washed it for these pics).

Any info much appreciated. OH, I can't find any numbers on it, where do I look? Just want to know what year it is.

Also, the rear hub says "3S" - do you think it's a 3-speed hub? that would be sweet.

tandem_01.jpg

tandem_02.jpg

tandem_03.jpg

tandem_04.jpg

Look on the left rear dropout, if not there, under the bottom brackets. It looks like an early 60's model. Try some Easy Off oven cleaner on the paint, you might at least get to see what the original color was.

cool, hey I thought twins and tandems were the same thing - no? Anyways, thanks SKODA, I found the number, it is either:

B412824, or 8412824, first letter is B or 8, can't tell. I have the link to Schwinn numbers, but can never seem to figure it out. So any advice much welcome.

It is definitely blue, when ya flip it, whoever painted it only did the top side.

tandem_05.jpg

Also, it is a freewheel hub, and there is an old brake mount in the front - there is also a coaster brake mount thing on the frame, but no coaster brake on the actual hub! Ya think it's a 3-speed? I ask cuz I want a 3-speed hub BAD.

Also, the seat, tires (bad shape) and all 4 grips (good shape) are Schwinn. Tires say 26".

Thanks again! -T.

One more Q. Where can i find 22" tires & tubes for a small Schwinn?

aka_locojoe said:
I don't know anything about it but I did recognize that frame style. One of our bunch has this and it's called "Bicycle Built For Two".
tandem_brian.jpg

Untill I seen tis I thought all the Schwinn Tandems were Twins.

As did I... but I have a blue one of these, same name, no straight top bar, built May of '64.

I have seen both frame styles in 63 and 64 models, and in '64, both names on the chainguards. I think they must have used up what was left and moved on with the name. Don't understand the two styles of frames though...

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

That frame is alot like the later Twinn Sports from the late 70's. Here is pic of one I used to have. The chainguard on yours may be worth some money as they hard to come by.
0925071837.jpg

cman said:
That frame is alot like the later Twinn Sports from the late 70's. Here is pic of one I used to have. The chainguard on yours may be worth some money as they hard to come by.

The chainguards are a little difficult, and I had the opportunity to pick up a second one a few years ago. It is sitting in the trailer in a box. I wil be re-doing the "Tandemonium" project (more on this later) over the coming months, and will make a choice as to which guard gets used at the point that it becomes necessary. I have a new BBF2 decal awaiting the choice. Gotta see which guard is straightest. Both are blue, oddly enough..
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Ha Ha....looks like a Shimano 333 hub to me...which would be a 3 speed...never saw a freewheel version though.

aka_locojoe said:
Here's ya a shirt when you get-r-done
kingplinker said:
or this - he he...
tandemonium-t.jpg

Oh... you guys are too funny!
There is a story to the name.. and of course, it is proof that I sometimes ain't firin' on all cylinders...
Readers' Digest Condensed Version:
Found bike on Fleebay - IN FLORIDA! Very excited, bid too much, paid too much, bought farm.... er, bike. Fleebay photo of object of my money's affections inserted here:

Brother in-law to my wife went to Webster and picked it up, brought to Tampa, where over the next weekend, wife and I would make trip to pick up bike (and visit nutty relatives).
Sunday morning, time to load 'er up (the bike...) on the rack and get on home (Lantana... spittin' distance south of West Palm Beach). Mounted bike on rack, and secured... or so I thought. Wife joined me in car, off we went ...
Jumped on I-4 to go to I-75. I-4 is under major construction (did I say "con"? I meant "DE") Road is rougher than a cob, no shoulders, Bob's Barricades, Florida State trees (orange cones for those of you who don't live here) all over, and people with way too much experiance at low level flying found on this road. After a rather abrupt entry to the concrete section of a bridge (roadbed had been cut down by what seemed like a foot, but more than likely was about 3" or so), I looked back in the mirror and noticed that the formerly fairly level tandem was now at an angle of approximately road scraping degrees. The mention of the word **** (sounds alot like ship) sent my wife into a rearward looking state, at which time the rather loud exclamations of pandemonium started, with her seeming very much intent on me getting over to the side (remember - NO shoulders due to DEstruction) and fixing obvious issue with bicycle to roadway relation... She was a little bit upset over the idea that we were going about 70 and there was this large thing attached to the back of the car that is now appearing from inside of the car to be dragging the road. After about four miles of frantic discussion (mostly from the passenger side of the car), I found an exit ramp and did. I also found a seemingly safe place to stop and did.
On exiting the car (and the frantic wife's continuing excitedness), I found that the bike was fine, other than the precarious angle it was now sitting at. I proceeded to remove the bike, and re-situate it where the arms would not allow it to slip rearward into that heartwarmingly absurd angle again.
This is the non-firing cylinder part - If in my infinite ignorance, I had looked at how I was mounting the bike on the rack at her sister's house, I would have noticed that while the bike was perfectly level as it was mounted, there was nothing to stop it from sliding to the left (rightward movement was not possible due to the laws of motion, inertia, and mostly - gravity. The back was substanially heavier than the front!), which also allowed the angle increase to the point of the appearance of plowing up the pavement.
Once remounted, there was a decidedly different angle, now with the front of the bike slightly angled downward, but no chance of side-slippage, and more importantly, no chance of another episode of... you guessed it... Tandemonium!
The remainder of the trip home was far less eventful, and the once excited wife was now content to have the visor mounted mirror set so as to monitor any movement of the bike and to remain on alert in case of a failure of my now near rocket science method of mounting really long and awkward objects to a little rack intended for the "weight-weenie" type bikes you would normally find attached to one of these racks.
It should be noted at this point: I have had the maximum number of bikes the rack was designed for on the rack many times, of which one is equal in length to the tandem, but this bike only holds one rather large, mostly bald, and mildly overweight (did I say mildly?) person, as well as another "chopper" style bike and a normal womens (very pink) Electra Hawaii, and never had any issue. I can only assume that the Grey Goose (who came armed with a bottle of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice) that had attacked my feeble brain the night prior to departure was partially to blame for the misfiring cylinders in my VERY throbbing head at the time of loading the bike. Needless to say, the throbbing and so forth was continued far after the Tandemonium had passed....
The End...
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

This is the Tandemonium Project in an earlier stage of re-building. Since this photo, I found a nice set of heavy duty S-2 wheels and nice whitewalls for it. I still have a set of fenders here somewhere for it, but I'm not overly concerned with them at this point. I prbably will be once it is powdercoated and reassembled though! That's coming up over the next few months. I'm gonna wager he charges me twice the normal frame coating price for this baby!

If you were doing this.. would you leave the front rack and this fork, or change it over to one that has truss rods (along with having to put a drum brake up front)?
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Back