Schwinn Spoiler Makeover

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this custom schwinn spoiler off ebay. Apparently, it was owned originally by a Harley Mechanic.
3354295759_bc1d2c989e_b.jpg

Just finished customizing to my liking. First, I ordered a 3-speed extra-wide hub from choppersus and rebuilt the rear wheel. It comes with a stick shift, but no hardware to mount it, so I had to fab an aluminum plate.
3494730650_f2a59ae77f_m.jpg

3494731226_6950598635_m.jpg

3494729420_8697f79bc3_m.jpg

Here it is mounted on the bike.
3494731930_3dc1ac54d7_m.jpg

I also swapped out the seat and drag bars for Ape Hangers. And, here is the finished product.
3493915941_6d308a94d3.jpg

Next step is to add an electric hub motor, so I ordered some saddle bags to hide the battery in. Here is a picture of the mockup. I'll probably just mount one saddle bag on the left side, so as not to interfere with the shifter, but this gives an idea of the look I am going for. The goal is to be a totally stealth electric.
3493916643_cbb8ffd4dd_m.jpg

Cool! :) The new seat and bars look a lot better than the old ones, and the saddlebags are nice! I like the springers too! The only thing I'd change is to get rid of the Harley sticker, but that's just me... :wink:
The electric motor you're going to add, is it one of those that goes in the front wheel? Please show pics when it's done! :)

Sweet ride. I think I prefer the drag bars but that's just my opinion which really isn't anything at all. What kind of electric hub system are you going to be using??

Since the rear wheel and dropouts are much wider than they make the motors, it will have to be a front hub system. I also need to find one that accepts disc brake rotors--only ones I know of are BMC or Ezee, both of which are geared hubs. Of course they are some of the more expensive one's, too, so I have to scrape some pennies together.

I was torn over whether to change the bars. But the drag bars made for an uncomfortable driving position. The apes are much more comfortable for me, also, I slightly prefer the look. I agree with the comment on the Harley sticker I think the colors are enough of a harley promo. I think I'll scrape it off unless Harley wants to pay me for advertising.

Nice looking Spoiler. I see you replaced that uncomfortable seat also, that was the first thing to go on mine.

Hey Jim, nice spoiler! I saw it when it was on the Bay . . . glad to see it's in good hands! :wink:
I'd like to hear your feedback on the three-speed conversion. I've been considering doing the same to mine. Were you able to use the same spoke length or do they need to be shorter? :?:

The 3-speed makes a huge difference. It is a heavy bike, as you can imagine, and the low speed is great on hills and the higher speed can really get it going on the downhill. If you want to do the same, using the sturmey-archer 3-speed, you will need to use 172mm spokes to account for the different flange sizes. I had to lace up 3 time before I finally got the spoke size right.

Yeah, it came with the fender rotated forward already. I looks like it was easy to do, but requires drilling one new hole and covering 4 old rivet and screw holes. Thought about putting it back, but I'd have to find or make new struts and I guess it looks OK the way it is.

the mods you are adding looks great!

never got to ride a spoiler but i can tell you that a chopper turned ebiked is the funniest ride ever! i had the hub motor in the rear and the fake engine to hold batteries( which i never liked) I added a basket to one side to hold co2 tank but with batteries in there it would move a lot of weight to the side. might i suggest mounting the batteries more center of gravity it does help the ride. one idear get a couple front mount leather bags and stager then on the front forks . would be easy to conceal wires and have the whole system closer jus sayin

n5q2ya.jpg

Latest posts

Back