Questions on changing handlebar grips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:

Rat Rod said:
I usually get a really thin long flat head screwdriver and carefully lift an edge of the grip up and then spray WD-40 with that little red tube up in there. I do that on a few sides and then grab a rag and with both hands start twisting the grip back and forth until it loosens up. Usually slides right off atfer that.

I do the same thing. Works great.

I keep an old spoke with the threaded end cut away to slide under the grip and enought to slide a wd40 tube in and spray. Then I slide the spoke in farther and rotate it around the bar. As I work it farther in, I am able to spin the grip and pull it off.

Re:

Rat Rod said:
I usually get a really thin long flat head screwdriver and carefully lift an edge of the grip up and then spray WD-40 with that little red tube up in there. I do that on a few sides and then grab a rag and with both hands start twisting the grip back and forth until it loosens up. Usually slides right off atfer that.

x2

I do boiling water for removal as well. I'm not sure I understand using something for installation. I don't even use spit. I just put the new grips on. They might twist at first but let them sit overnight and it seems like they never move after that unless you are really getting on them, like trying to remove them again.

Final Net hair spray works for putting them back on. A plus is that the smell reminds me of the girls with big hair in the 80's.

Pulling them off stretches them length-wise shrinking them in diameter, while pushing them on creates the opposite effect. Pushing them off with a 7/8" helps, though if they've been done in the recent past, I can usually do it with my fingertips and avoid possibly scarring the bar. If you can get it to the hot water (not boiling hot :roll: ) it almost always works.

Tried something the other day I've never seen mentioned here. Got a syringe and filled it up with soapy water, and "injected" the water under the grips in three or four different places. The needle end is small enough that it doesn't stretch the grip hardly at all (nice if you're working with very old gips that are becoming brittle, but you still want to save), and you can get the needle in over an inch or so. I used this method on a set of grips that felt like they were cemented on, and they came right off after a minute or two!

Best place I've found to buy syringes is Tractor Supply (or a similar farm supply type outfit). They are used for livestock, you can get like 6 of them for $4, and they are right out where you can get at them and just take them up to the register without answering a bunch of questions or explaining yourself. Obviously you can get them at any pharmacy or grocery store drug counter as well, but like I said, if you have to ask someone I feel pressured to give the clerk the story of what I am doing. Plus, needles for humans seem to be more expensive, but that my just be because of where you are buying them. At TSC the clerk will likely not even look up from the register when ringing you up.

You can use one syringe many, many times, likely until you lose it. 6 should last a lifetime.

Slide wide plastic zip ties under the grips and spray with WD-40 or P.B.Blaster and slip them of with a little twisting. Just got some old Hunt Wilde grips off on this fashion. And it cleaned the bars at the same time.

Everyone has their own method of course, this is mine. For removal the compressor trick can work well, unless the grips dont have holes in the end or dont cover the end of the bar, in that case I us an old spoke flattened and rounded on the end to lift the grip then squirt rubbing alcohol in next to it. The rubbing alcohol is so thin it usually penetrates under the grip quickly and they slide right off. Installing grips I use the alcohol they slip right on and the alcohol evaporates quickly.

I have always found that a fondu
set of forks and WD-40 works best!
They go in, spray, move around, spray again. I use them on all my grips. Old and new. Fondu all the way!
:lol:

I just use a 7/8" open end wrench & tap with a hammer! Works everytime (so far)! If I don't want to save the grips, I use a box knife & just make a slit in them & peel them off.

Have removed old grip from the bars by simply dunking them into a glass of hot water from the sink, just sink the grip in the glass of water for 45 seconds to a minute and twist it right off, water only has to be sink water hot, depending on your water heating setting, don't scald yourself. Has worked for me everytime.

Back