Question:

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that old red prewar bike right, I was wondering, Will a 26x3 inch tire fit on this frame with out any modifications?

Rick measure between the seat stays and chain stays at the point the where the tire would be when mounted. Also measure bewteen the fork legs. If perfectly true and the tire has no flaws 3.5 to 3.75 inches should clear. More is better. I have 1/4 inch on either side of the rear tire on Escaped Convict with a 2.125 tire... Very tight no room for error. Some bikes you have to put the big rubber on deflated and inflate after it's on the bike.

Aaron

Ok so measure where the tires would be.. So it should be more than 3 right? ok, now another question, Will the chain rub the tire? I tried 2 put a 20x3 on a bike the tire cleared the frame but not the chain....

That's one of those "I can't tell you without seeing it in person" questions. Sorry man :(

Aaron

What size tire is on it and how much clearance betwen the chain and the current tire? Say you have 2.25 inch wide tires now and there is .75 inch between the chain and tire currently. A 3" tire will be .75 inches wider in total but only half of that goes toward the chain about .375" the other .375" is on the other side. So in theory it would fit. Your a math genious Rick so just remeber the half measurement thing when dealing with tire clearance and take some measurements.

ACD said:
That's one of those "I can't tell you without seeing it in person" questions. Sorry man :(

Aaron

S'all good! :) Im probably gonna leave her alone..

Hahaha you should see me trying to mesure stuff on a tape mesure in woodshop i gave up and baught a tape with the fractions on it already lol.

seriously.... learn how to read a tape measure!!!! if youre gonna be wrenching on anything itll save you a whoooooooooooole lot of time running back and forth grabbing random sockets. its really not hard. bikes: a cresent wrench is okay. but cars are a whole other story!

Back