PK RIPPER...THIS IS WHY YOU ALWAYS LOOK AT OLD SCHOOL BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I know some of you here know Old School BMX well enough to know what's good and what's bad...but for those who don't know...you need to know!

Bought is hunk of junk for $200 and was able to quadruple my money when it sold.

Always look for things like three piece cranks...quality welds...light weight parts...and NAME BRANDS

Most would have sent this to the scrap yard but I beg you...Study what you have. You might strike gold.

P1120113_zps44e21967.jpg

P1120114_zps33d434a0.jpg

P1120115_zps14d526a8.jpg

P1120117_zpsef85155e.jpg

P1120118_zps75a85390.jpg

P1120119_zps455671c0.jpg

P1120120_zpsf7ca7b60.jpg

P1120121_zps26f4cf54.jpg

P1120122_zpsee0a80a4.jpg

P1120123_zpsd89a2cb7.jpg

P1120124_zps82e845d6.jpg

P1120125_zps317329b6.jpg

P1120126_zps91221209.jpg

Shhh...don't let people know. :21:

That's an amazing score. I sold a set of those Redline flight cranks for $500 alone once.

Was this a recent find?

Shhh...don't let people know. :21:

That's an amazing score. I sold a set of those Redline flight cranks for $500 alone once.

Was this a recent find?
Well by no means do I want this to come across as bragging but I do want other members to pull these kind of bikes out of the scrap pile! That helps everyone in the long run!

I bought it at 3:00 est and sold it at 3:45 est today on bmxmuseum.

Great score and turnaround. I rarely come across BMX (other that WallyCrap), but I have turned some coin on a few BMX finds over the years.

Redline 501s
Only crank I have ever had that requires NO RETORQUE. Put them on and ride.

Cool score and sale.!! I found a redline bmx at a antique store. The lester mags caught my eye. They wanted 25 dollars plus tax. I knew I could get 100 for the mags but sold the whole bike for 450. I still know very little about bmx bikes. Could you post some of the NAME brand parts to look for. I know there are a lot but the top ones like Webco ect. I know you were dancing when it sold the same day for such a good profit. Keep them eyes peeled on as many things as you can.

Nice find!! Its hard to find the early PK frames like that one not cracked.

A lot like me! Bought a concord freestyle for $80 in fantastic condition:
5GrLNG46E7oGFiymEjA2o7nBZ_DSu-BZBgT1AH-kOY8_zpsd92dafe8.jpeg

Put a front tire on, enjoyed it for a summer, and sold it for $300
o2ghmYkoVgmlG59bRwQxFjy1OrFvtx7UiUjThdpSvSE2MdZ5qQKnUy075RpC_mYcKyBVBOFILQUDDb1ripslDY_zps6099f8d7.jpeg

My best flip yet.

Cool score and sale.!! I found a redline bmx at a antique store. The lester mags caught my eye. They wanted 25 dollars plus tax. I knew I could get 100 for the mags but sold the whole bike for 450. I still know very little about bmx bikes. Could you post some of the NAME brand parts to look for. I know there are a lot but the top ones like Webco ect. I know you were dancing when it sold the same day for such a good profit. Keep them eyes peeled on as many things as you can.

You might have sold yourself short at $450, depending on specifics, maybe way short, but $425 for doing nothing is a pretty good day. I went from $100 to $700 on an old Haro Sport, and all I did was add soap and water.

That bike up there has dollar signs all over it, even with no stickers. Dia-Compe, ACS, Araya, Haro, looptail frame...I'm learning every day, and I probably would have missed the significance of the cranks, but I'm the type that holds on to something long enough to figure out exactly what I have.

I hear what you are saying. I'm ignorant when it comes to BMX. I passed up dozens of those things in the past when I was hunting bikes a lot. If I saw that PK laying in someone's yard or at the salvage yard I wouldn't have given $10 for it. Education! Which is one reason why we're on this forum. Thanks for the lesson.:) Gary

Redline 501s
Only crank I have ever had that requires NO RETORQUE. Put them on and ride.
Redline 401'single pinch bolt full wrap. Which are the 2nd gen cranks that Redline made =$350 If it had a double dimple spindle those alone can bring $200. I think you did pretty well on that sale if you git $1000. Early PK and pretty rare to find without the seat post mast not broken off.
There are at least 5 Variations of the 401's & still made to this day. Original version full wrap NO PINCH BOLTS, 401's full wrap single pinch bolt, 401's single pinch bolt half wrap, 401's double pinch bolt full wrap, 401's double pinch bolt half wrap. Made in chrome, white & black. You will never become an expert overnight!
A local fellow collector to me bought a Hutch thinking $500 was a steal. In reality it is a Pro Raider (he thought Pro Racer). The bike is.worth max $250 with a LOT.of PorkchopBMX parts. Be careful but if the price is right they can be like Gold... just inspect the BMX bikes! Lots.of cracks & butchered dropouts which affect the values!
NICE PK LOOPTAIL.

Without knowing anything about old school bmx I bought a mostly complete Torker for $150. I learned a lot and put another $100 into finishing it. Then sold it for $700 (which bought me the Schwinn Paramount I always wanted). And I thought I did well!

I just sold a set of bmx cruiser handlebars on ebay for $635. I got them for free and had them sitting in my parts bin waiting for me to clean the rust off. When I did, I was shocked and delighted when I found "Cook Bros. Racing" etched on the bars.

I just sold a set of bmx cruiser handlebars on ebay for $635. I got them for free and had them sitting in my parts bin waiting for me to clean the rust off. When I did, I was shocked and delighted when I found "Cook Bros. Racing" etched on the bars.
Wow that's awesome!

Redline 401'single pinch bolt full wrap. Which are the 2nd gen cranks that Redline made =$350 If it had a double dimple spindle those alone can bring $200. I think you did pretty well on that sale if you git $1000. Early PK and pretty rare to find without the seat post mast not broken off.
There are at least 5 Variations of the 401's & still made to this day. Original version full wrap NO PINCH BOLTS, 401's full wrap single pinch bolt, 401's single pinch bolt half wrap, 401's double pinch bolt full wrap, 401's double pinch bolt half wrap. Made in chrome, white & black. You will never become an expert overnight!
A local fellow collector to me bought a Hutch thinking $500 was a steal. In reality it is a Pro Raider (he thought Pro Racer). The bike is.worth max $250 with a LOT.of PorkchopBMX parts. Be careful but if the price is right they can be like Gold... just inspect the BMX bikes! Lots.of cracks & butchered dropouts which affect the values!
NICE PK LOOPTAIL.
Sorry for the typo....

Back