Pipe Bending??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are state of the art, but the $295 is kinda misleading. They don't come with the dies and they are $155 a set , plus shipping. It mounts up quick. I found another person that produces and sells one , and quiet a bit cheaper. Its http://tubetek.net .I'm waiting on a conformation that his will do what I want it too and then , I will probably pull the trigger on one. Somehow someway , I'm going to get a bender that will do what I want it to.

Stretch, re your home made lever/pulley contraption, seems to me the tight bend swage dies I've seen in person are grooved considerably deeper than your pulleys, enough to enclose the sides of the tubes. :|

deorman said:
Stretch, re your home made lever/pulley contraption, seems to me the tight bend swage dies I've seen in person are grooved considerably deeper than your pulleys, enough to enclose the sides of the tubes. :|
The two rollers I used are from a harbor freight roller bender. They are the exact half the size of a 1'' tubing. Two together are exactly the size of 1'' tubing. If they were deeper , they wouldn't touch the side of the pipe or you couldn't pull the tubing out. I think its just to tight a radius to try to bend. No dies I have seen in my search for benders are that small. I have bought two benders so far...what's one more. :roll:

I decided to spring for a jd2 model 3 tubing bender, Should be here in a few days. After I get it setup and bending, I will post the results. :wink:

Ok got my JD2 model 3 bender today. If this thing won't do it I'm in trouble. This is a massive piece of iron. I'm bettting my ups guy said nasty things about me. I still have to have a stand made and then bolt it to my driveway or some other immovable object.

DSCF0001-12.jpg

Thanks Gary I was looking for that earlier. I read so much on all those forums , that I started talking about benders in my sleep. It had my wife laughing. I'm pretty sure I have a handle on it , but I'm sure I'm going to have to mess up some tubing before I get the hang of it. At least 1'' is pretty cheap. :shock: :roll: :cry: :cry:

Ok got my fab buddy to build me a stand. They wanted $135 plus shipping for the jd2 one....he charged me $40. So I shot a little paint on it and its getting closer. Got to figure out where to mount this monster. Everything about it is heavy. I'm pretty sure I will need a new back by the time I'm finished.

DSCF0001-13.jpg

Actually what that bender does is flat or small solid stock. It has such a tight radius that there isn't enough force to bend tubing with it.

What is a good price for a used Harbor Freight hydraulic pipe bender?
I have a chance to get one for less than $50. I was thinking more like $20-30.

I wanted a pipe bender so I ran a WANTED ad in the tools section on CL. Here is what I got. A Harbor Freight hydraulc pipe bender along with two different size hand conduit benders. All for $40.

WP_000119.jpg

Thanks Josh. No immediate needs, just wanted it for future ideas.

Back