Oooh, Barracuda!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my very first bike, back in my hands after 25 yrs...

IMG_2879.jpg

It's a Ross Barracuda 16. I don't know much about it, other than it was passed down to me at about age 4 from my cousin, 4 yrs my senior. This was what I learned on & rode untill I turned 7 in '82 & my folks bought me a new black & gold Huffy BMX. That bike was sold to a neighbor 20 yrs ago, but this one's been sitting in my folks garage loft since Reagan's 1st term. Some air in the tires & it's back on the road! I've since polished it up & the chrome looks pretty good--try that w/one of those Chinese Wallyworld bikes in a couple of decades!

IMG_2892.jpg

It think I know where my fixation on cantiliever frames & apehangers started...
Anybody know anything about this bike or Ross bikes in general?

Hey dude, Nice bike! I think you grew a little...

cool old bike.

That has to be one of the best pics in a long time. Looks like you just took a spin around the neighborhood.

That's one cool little bike. Nice to see how original and intact it is.

I seem to recall that a lot of the Mopar guys specifically look for Ross Barracudas (for obvious reasons) to use as car show cruisers.

-Mp

cman said:
cool old bike.

That has to be one of the best pics in a long time. Looks like you just took a spin around the neighborhood.

Hey, thanks...yeah, sure did take it for a spin, didn't even bend the frame :lol: ...the guy you see in the background is my 70-something neighbor who is about to ask me if "that's a Krate".
The layout of that bike, especially the bannana seat makes it fairly rideable for my size. I trashpicked a 16" BMX the other nite (near mint, shame on them) & there's no way I could ride it as is...

:lol: :lol: Thats great man. I should be outside working on the next pixie.. 16 inch fram 12 in. wheels, im going 2 try and run the big schwinn sprocket with the 4 holes.. It should be fast.

I think it's GREAT you found your First Bike again..

I would Clean it all up again,
rebuild the Headset and Bottom Bracket,
and Put it aside to Remember when you first
gained all that Freedom and Independence as a Kid riding a Bike
for the First Time.....

......when you could "Hop-on" and just "GO!"

peace,
Kev.

Its a cute litte guy..........(I Mean the bike...haha)

I just gave my 6 year old nephew an NOS Barracuda 16 I got at the estate sale of a LBS owner that passed away recently. He named it rose and says it's his "Sweet Ride". He's crazy about it. P.S. I did set the seat as high as it would go and take it for a spin. Those little crank arms don't get you going very fast do they.

Oooo am I jealous :mrgreen: ....please post some pics!
Just the thought of an LBS owner's estate sale is giving me the shakes...what else did you score?

There was an estate auction a while back, it had 25 antique balloon tire bicycles. I picked up a 50's firestone bicycle, a 52 girls panther with springer, and a Sears spaceliner (middleweight). I picked these all up for 200.

Nice find musclebikes...I just met a guy on the street riding a straight bar Schwinn & he's got a garage full of scavenged bikes he wants to get rid of & my dad met an old timer w/a shop full of bikes he wants to get rid of. We'll see how this turns out, knock on wood,

Back