need help identifing an old yami.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys and gals.

a few weeks back i picked up an old yami. i paid $50 for it.
i have an 67 big bear (basicly a 305 oil injected scrambler) and i thought it might be cool to build the girl friend a vintage ride also.
i spent some time trying to figure out what this old beast is.
IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

looks to be built on a mo-ped frame, but theres no peddles.
it looks like a scooter but sports a heel toe shifter. i believe its what they refer to as a step through motorcycle.
i've searched the internet high and low, i've called the yamaha corp and talked to a few product specilist and i'm still no closer to finding out what model i have.
while searching the web i came across this ad.
its a 1962 55cc dirt step through. mine however is an 80cc. it doesn't have the oversized sprocket but otherwise looks to be the same.
finding parts for an 1960's yami is hard enough. trying to find parts without a model is gonna be dam near impossible.
2006_pd1232887_1.jpg

yesterday i started the resto.
IMG_1516.jpg

its missing the rear brake, coils pooched and theres a broken alum part in the engine (carb attaches to one end, the other end slides into the cyclinder.)
the bikes stamped in 2 places (the down tube-m3-805378 and the motor 805378) i guess 17digit vin numbers weren't required until the early 80's

now all i need to do is figure out what i have so i can start the long search for parts. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thx

Yamaha had a bike called a Rotary Jet that looked like yours. I've got a motorcycle history book published by Floyd Clymer in 1965, and I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work and see if it gives any info? Those YDS 250's were the ticket. Later. Thanks!!!

i think they refered to a few different bikes as the "rotary jet" i believe it had something to do with the new style (at the time) rotary valve.
2006_pd1268067_1.jpg

the more old ad's i find the more i realize how many different bikes used the same chasis. (both 50's and 80's alike.)

the yellow bike in the ad is my bike with a different front end. the others seem to use parts of a common chasis.
2006_pd1261951_1.jpg

if you could check your book and get back to me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

thx again.

It's most likely a MG1-T model. It was a big brother to the "Omaha Trail 55", which was a MJ2-T model. According to Mr. Clymer, and this book was written in 1964, for 1965, Yamaha was offering both the MG1-T and YG1-T. The T in the model number denoted that it was a "trail" version with the big rear sprocket. There may have been a street version but it wasn't mentioned. The obvious difference of course was in the frame between the two models with the MG1-T having a step through style frame and the YG1-T having the backbone style frame. Man that YDS 250 brought back a lot of memories. One of the first full size bikes I ever rode was a YDS-2 that a guy I worked with had. I bet a lot of guys here have never heard one of those taking a brisk run up through the gears? It's got a sound all it's own! I know where there is a Scrambler model like yours sitting for sale. I've been tempted to go and take the exhaust pipes loose and look up in the cylinders to see if it would maybe be worth getting to run? Hope this helps. Thanks!!!

the blue bike is actually ym2c its a twin carb 305 big bear, not a 250. just a bigger scrambbler. i believe it was released in 66 and 67 only. (but i could be mistaken.

got an email from yami today, and they also believe it to be an mg1-t. you were right on the money. somebody must have changed out the oversized sprocket. took ya one day to i.d. something that took yamaha a few weeks to do. lol

thx again you've been a great help. if i'm not asking too much, any way you could scan the page in your book that mentions mg1-t? thx

Yea man, send me a PM. The book has several pics of it. They might be kinda grainy scans because it's an old book. Floyd Clymer personally wrote Treasury of Motorcyles of the World that I bought off a discount table years ago. Thanks!!!

Hello,

I just bought a bike for $75 like yours thinking it was a Yamaha Omaha Trail 50/55cc but it looks like it is a 80cc. The VIN # is M3-807725. Do they call these "Trailmaster" or something else? It looks like it was Yamaha's answer to Honda's Trail 90. Did you get any Info from the Clymer book?

Thanks

i forwarded the pages to you. was kinda funny, i was on the phone ordering new rims for my trailmaster 80 (mg1-t) when i got your email.

the bikes undergone some radical work. desided on a red/white color skeem.
i striped the bike down and found out it was in incredable shape.
IMG_1521-1.jpg

chip guarded the inside/underneath then painted it red.
IMG_1954.jpg

i'm currently stitching new black/white seats. all the other parts are gonna be white (rear light,shocks,rack etc) sent most of my parts off to be rechromed, and i have a friend rebuilding the engine for me.
gonna give it to the girly when i'm finished, i got the big bear anyhoo.
IMG_0508_2.jpg

That is a Yamaha MG1T 'step through model'. I have a '66 MG1t and I love riding it. It has lots of power even with myself and my wife on it. I actually have that same second strap on seat on mine, too.
mg-1t2.jpg
mg-1t.jpg

Hi I have been searching as I have one of these for sale but did not know what it was till reading here..... [email protected] If no one interested here where would be a good site to sell it.....Thanks

So, by the posts, it looks like you have the Yamaha Trail-50, 62 or 63 model. I have the same bike! / VIN M3-802480; began restoration then the piston went bad. Really really hard to find engine parts for this. From the researching I did, it looks like 1962 may have been the first year Yamaha distributed from the US. Let me know if you need parts, or want to sell yours!

Hi all,
I recently acquired a MG1 T, a 1962 I think. Can anyone point me to a source for parts? carb, front fender, seat pan etc. Thanks! I'll post pics soon.
Richard

flash said:
Hi all,
I recently acquired a MB1 T, a 1962 I think. Can anyone point me to a source for parts? carb, front fender, seat pan etc. Thanks! I'll post pics soon.
Richard

good luck with the search. mines a 1963 model. when i called yami in cali they said and i quote.

"thats old! older than any of our records" guess there records start around the late 60's. it took them 3 months to get back to me about what size battery it used.

parts are few and far between.

btw heres my most recent addition.
a 1965 honda s-65
IMG_2932.jpg

came with a parts bike, just incase.
IMG_2933.jpg

That Honda looks sharp! Nice work. Do you still have the MB1? Could you post a pic of the carb? Trying to figure out what is what as mine is damaged. ThX! Richard

flash said:
That Honda looks sharp! Nice work. Do you still have the MB1? Could you post a pic of the carb? Trying to figure out what is what as mine is damaged. ThX! Richard

well i just so happen to have the original carb handy.
IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi icyuod2,
I was doing a websearch for parts to fix my Yamaha Trailmaster (which is very much like yours only older). I'm hopeful of finding pieces (rings, gaskets, muffler & headpipe, footrests)... can you point me in any direction? Did you ever get yours going? Our Yami has been in the family for about 30 years now I think... just stored as a non-runner in a barn (literally).

I'm more into m/cs than bicycles but I do like to see the older bikes (repro's and oldies). Thanks for your time & reply as convenient.

God bless,
Dave
Psalm 66:16

Thanks for the pics icyuod2! I ended up selling it as parts are very very rare. Got a '73 Honda TL 125 I'm restoring now.

Back