My first project bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finally riding a buddy's single speed, I just had to have me one, so I went to my stash of old 'junk' bikes (really aint such a thing :wink: ) and built me one :D
dasSchwinnster-vi.jpg

I had rescued a 'Free Spirit' girls bike from the LBS-- 26" with coaster brake. Rode it a few times as is, but just couldn't handle the gender benders, so I parked it. Added a few more old Schwinns from a lady friend's Dad's barn. Took fenders, the 27" wheels, chainguard, etc off a man's 3 speed Schwinn Racer to get the frame for this. Put the 26" coaster wheels off the Free Spirit on here, swapped out the big cranker ring for a smaller one off some 20" bike from the barn, cut a chain to fit, fished around the parts box for a seat and handlebars and started bombing the streets :D Still tinkering with it, but it gave me the bug to finally get around to working on the pair of old cruisers I have had laying around for years. Kind of special in that, after years of riding mountain bikes with discs and suspension and shifters, etc, this here "Schwinn-ster" got me riding like a kid again :D :D

Here's what the "Schwinn-ster" is wearing nowadays.
27inchwheelsandtorpedogrippers-vi.jpg

One day apparently I came to my senses and realized I had taken 27" wheels off this frame, and since I wasn't real happy with running a coaster, I pulled the wheels off a Schwinn Varsity and reworked the brakes, using a front brake unit off a Schwinn Suburban for the back wheel-- after swapping out the posts. Took the bars off an old KONA Smoke, used the levers off it too, and slid them torpedos on and I's got my beater back! :) I's gotta get up to the video store now :arrow:

Back