Messed up pan

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I got my Aerobee in today. The clamp mounts on the seat pan had been pushed through, and the pan was a mess. Someone took off the cover, hammered the metal back, and stuck a piece of licence plate in there, and just had the post clamp sit. So, I'm going to need to repair it. (or replace if I can find a replacement pan?) Two questions:

1) Should I try to cut all the mess away and weld a piece of metal inside the hole, trying to make it seamless, or should I just cut away the metal, smooth the edges and weld a piece over the top?

2) When I'm done and replacing the cover... (I think I'm going to replace the foam so it's not rusty, stinky, and maybe has more cushion) what kind of glue is used to keep the edges attached to the pan? Would clothes line pins be enough to hold the edges in place while it dries?

OYOYvu.jpg

zRhSCH.jpg

JGUPfX.jpg

I would roll the metal that is folded over back the way it should be, hammer it as smooth as you can then weld it and grind it smooth. Then like deorman said weld a fitted plate on it's underside for strength.

I would roll the metal that is folded over back the way it should be, hammer it as smooth as you can then weld it and grind it smooth. Then like deorman said weld a fitted plate on it's underside for strength.
Agreed!

I like contact adhesive for seats... Clothes pegs work ok but bulldog clips with a little piece of rubber cushioning on the outside are a better option if you need to hold it pulled tight.

Luke.

Back