Kulana

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK nobody is happy when they get a Kulana, they ride like dookie, like a marshmellow with handles.
Bought this for my woman off Craigslist for $45.00
The burnt orange wouldn't do so I rattle canned, $5.00, her all black, "murdered out," is the street term I hear it called.
Added a shock fork from a trash canned huffy, cranks $23.00, stem from a $15.00 parts bmx, stem converter $10.00, seat from another $15.00 parts bike, rack and grips from wallyland $45.00, basket and bungees from the Thrift store $10.00, tires from her new Dyno(freebie?), and the pedals I had laying around.
All totaled I have under $150.00 into this, not cheap enough for "RAT," status yet not cool enough for "RAD," status! After spending considerable time getting it set up right, It rides great!
DSC02407_zps8e50ab80.jpg

I ride this daily, not a commuter as much as keeping me at 200#s! POV picture:
DSC02409_zps1ead0226.jpg

Sooner than later I will be upgrading the wheels, to a Nexus rear, not sure on the front yet.
The bags are all transferable so I don't count them, I never sell bags!

Ok I went back at the moon dog, "Spike," is the family name affectionately, stuff hauler is what it has become!
So I hate grip shifts, they are just not natural for me.
I checked out a couple people's idea to remount, liked them all but nothing caught my eye.
Had some cheapo bar ends I had ordered thinking of making laid back seating with them.
Have some spare grip shifters, sitting in the pan of small parts, right next to one another........
Then I saw a post someone had made a shifter out of one.....
In fact looking in the pan I could clearly see the splines on the grip shifter :!:
Here's my finished product, I love it!

I did a little work with a die grinder so the bar end would slide over the shifter/less grip, kinda a spline. No bolt as the clamp end was streatched to fit. Cutt a end off and old handlebar, fashioned a hose clamp mount out of the end, a little work with a file, slid it all together, posistioned for praticality and function, cutt off excess shifter and such, handle bar plug, she's done! :mrgreen:

The kids called and said some guy had a bunch of flea market junk for sale down the road, here's what i got!

My brother played in a punk band who's music was self labeled "brass knuckle hard core" and they used this for their logo, always thought it was cool, even if the music was terrible!

Guess this is as good as any headbadge.....

Update photo, gone are the original wheels, a Shimano alevo hubset, laced to the rims on hand produced these, sunlite 1.95 motorcycle tread, model 886 or something. Soon I will be doing something about the fork, I have an old Judy that works Perfectly.

Latest posts

Back