Kinda lost

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm considering tryin to swap the Bottom Bracket completely. I'm not sure how the BB is measured, I've read that the Beast's BB is 125mm? how is that measured? I measure about 111 across the tube on the frame, is the measurement to the outside of the cups, the length of the shaft? I have seen 100mm sealed BB's that use splined or square tapered cranks, and it sure would be nice to get that portion all greased, sealed and appropriately set. Thanks again Ya'll....

I don't know if there are any reasonably prices cartridge bottom brackets for these bikes. I know that choppers us sells a BB spindle. And I am sure that you could find some cups with seals.

bb measurements:

bb shell width (frame)
bb axle overall length (not counting threaded ends)
bb axle bearing to bearing width (related to shell width)
bb axle right side length (from rt bearing line to end)

There are a few thousand combos of the above.

The beast bb shell is much wider than normal bikes which are usually 68 to 72 mm wide.
The axle is much longer. Most regular bike axles are 105-132mm long depending on number of chain rings and crank design.

One issue on the beast is chain to tire clearance. A shorter axle will cause the chain to rub on the side of the rear tire.

Unless your axle is bad (bent or worn out), the best bet is better quality cups which are completely interchangeable with normal bikes.

The only other axles that may fit are no better quality than the beast axle.

Some lower cost bikes use bearing retainers with fewer balls in them to save a penny for every 10 bikes. 1/4" balls. 9 loose will fit. If your caged bearing count is less, replace those caged sets with 9-bearing-cages or use loose ball bearings.

Put lots of grease on the bb shell threads if you hope to ever get them out again.

Latest posts

Back