Jumpin on a SIDEWINDER with both feet....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up an 82 or 83 Schwinn Sidewinder this last Sunday , I mocked it up and guess I will jump in to the fray with that build. Not sure if an MTB is kosher for this build off though, I am new here and do not want to offend.

It is an oldie, and in its current condition not very cool, but I have some stuff laying around to dress her up.

Anything you start with is kosher, we are not like other forums, if you love bikes of any kind you're in the club.

Looks like a great start to me. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks, any ideas on head set parts? Cups were missing and i need something low profile for the head set to fit, stock may work?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Variety is awsome bro! Im using a walmart mtb alls good in da hood!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Welcome to RRB and the Buildoff

Don't forget to put your pin in the BONINE WORLD MAP
http://bit.ly/1nsYqVU
Then go to Additions > Add Marker - Simple

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by low profile, but 1950's Schwinns had an inverted set up you might be able to use. Instead of the cup pressing into the frame, a race similar the fork race went in and the cup was threaded onto the fork. Looks like yours is a threadless fork, so you might have to get creative with a dremel but you might be able to thin it down a bit and waller out the threads.

ca98c5ec-0ddf-49f3-b7a0-79d719394cf1.jpg

As luck would have it, the headset in this frame was sourced from a Sidewinder (though they are pretty much all the same).

Will do, I have very few parts but if I ever have anything you need, its yours.....

Do you have a sidewinder?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
I had this one I sold on the bay,still have two extra frames, my next MTB project is a Mongoose ATB with pro class rims.

Looks like a great start to me. Good luck and have fun!

Not sure, what category of bike this would be? I know it’s not a true KLUNKER, and it’s not really a true BOMBER. So I have decided it is a Bonker, or maybe a Klumber (No that is actually a spaniel dog breed) or how about a Blonker. To me it is technically not a cruiser or a mountain bike, but either way I can’t wait to ride whatever it is. I have however named my virgin “BONINE” build, I will call her “Mohave Green” after my least favorite trail partner found here in the BADLANDS.

Latest posts

Back