I turned down free bicycles, kickin the habit.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How un-ratrod of me, right? Maybe I am getting picky in my old age or maybe I am just on the road to recovery from this bike addiction. There was a time when I would bring home anything with usable parts. Now I am looking for sweet frames or specific parts, everything else can wait for the next man.

I was back home in Endicott, NY this weekend, with a rental car at my disposal, when my brother-in-law mentioned he knew where there was a pile of bikes on the side of the road, and that the people had more in the lawn by the house. I made him draw me a map and I was out there as fast as I could go. It took me a while to find it, and it was out in the middle of nowhere, in an area that only meth dealers and crackheads live, according to my brother-in-law. This is the bike pile he was talking about:

2398440351_916142e383.jpg

Wow. I thought I had low standards, but these weren't even worth slowing down for. 2 Free Spirits, a Murray, and a Magna, all had been sitting outside for at least a year, all components shot. The lawn by the house also had some useless department store bikes, and no one answered when I knocked on the door to find out if they had the good stuff inside somewhere. I could've perhaps harvested a couple of parts from the roadside bikes, but I didn't want to stand out in the rain for any of those rusted parts. I said NO to free bikes. Turning over a new leaf.

But I didn't want to leave empty handed, I had come all the way out to the boonies, so I kept driving around the muddy roads looking at everyone's giant junk piles in their yard (everyone out there had a giant junk pile. Everyone). Everyone also has a wagon wheel as decoration which kept making me think I saw a bicycle. I eventually came to this:

2399272184_0ff7ff443b.jpg

An old old oldsmobile. I couldn't get close because of a barbed wire fence.
But next to the yard with the car was this garage:

2399273052_4e251fc54d.jpg

The garage seemed abandoned, obviously no one cared about its contents.
Of course there were some bikes trapped inside:

2398443175_08e57294c9.jpg

from the front door

2399273794_fc55fc9f7c.jpg

from the back window

2398444021_50798cf536.jpg

from a side window

A lot of bikes, mostly road bikes and 3 speeds from the 70s and 80s. Nothing that I was willing to climb into a collapse garage and try to pull out. Those could have been load-bearing bicycles. There was a 3-speed rear wheel within reach but there was no coaster brake and the hub looked like a shimano, I really have no use for something like that so I left it. I thought about the cable and shifter for one of my 3CCs, but it would have required me climbing in and sitting on wet, smelly junk and unscrewing parts. So I left it all. I took pictures, wished the bicycles the best, and moved on.

I had pretty much given up, and was ready to head up to my friend's house but then I spotted something weird down in a ditch:

2399278636_118a5f58a6.jpg

and next to the half-buried convertible:
2398449507_587617266b.jpg

A Japanese lugged lightweight Schwinn. The frame was alright, I decided to save this one. I am thinking ratrod-styled fixie.

So at least I still came back with one bike. The rest are still out there if anyone wants them. Good luck.

... do you still have that map?

lol awesome story ... but seriously do you still have that map?... ok ok fine other side of the continent maybe out of reach never mind .. but nice find anyway

Forget the bikes, GO GET THAT OLDSMOBILE!! Nice 2 door fixer-upper!!

Back