i cant wait to get rid of my chevy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MagicRat said:
BUY AMERICAN

I can print out an ASE certification on my printer and frame it on the wall like the vocational school dropouts at my local repaire places.

I forgot more than they will ever know.

There are stories that goes along with this...sad but true

RANT OFF.

Why don't you go take one of those ASE tests?

And yes I do have multiple ASE certs and I am not a vocational school dropout, and they are not required for my profession. I promise you they were not just printed off and framed.

I am a mechanic in a small shop and i see alot of gm brake problems. the biggest thing is that the rotors now days are total crap! they rust like crazy, pit, etc. i have seen several cases where the rotors are junk at very low miles, pretty much throw away items. i do see this on other brand of vehicles, but mostly gm. as far as being hard to work on they are easy. the dumbest thing they do is put those stupid torx headed bolts in the calipers! :x gm vehicles do seem to go through alot of hub assemblies too. heck, i could go on all day about what i see on all vehciles. they all have their problems. i will say though, the brand we work on most is gm, and the brand we see the least is dodge/chrysler. i own a '98 dodge ram and a 2000 cherokee square body and have had no problems to speak of. now that i said that, my truck will probably blow the motor on the way to church in the morning! HA! :D

ahhh yes, the parking brake, completely forgot about those! don't forget the junk backing plates that rust away to nothing! :wink:

murraymadman said:
ahhh yes, the parking brake, completely forgot about those! don't forget the junk backing plates that rust away to nothing! :wink:
one of them already did

Obviously GM products have gotten realy crappy in the seven years I've been out of the mechanic buiseness

Art said:
Obviously GM products have gotten realy crappy in the seven years I've been out of the mechanic buiseness

replace gotten really crappy with been crappy for ever even when and the problems with become clear

I have , as I said, an 01 Lumina with over 280k on the oeiginal drive train. While not everything is well designed, that's hardly the sign of a crappy car.
My Boss's 95 GM pickup, was also decidedly not crappy, nor was the 76 Big Ten I sold last year, nor the 2000 Chevy I used at Cycle Shop, a aingle cab with a 4.3 that got 25 MPG pulling a trailer full of Motorcycles at 70MPH, and that I drove clear across Texas many times without a problem.
GM products have not always been crappy. And as a mechanic I worked on more piles with blue ovals than bowties

Art said:
I have , as I said, an 01 Lumina with over 280k on the oeiginal drive train. While not everything is well designed, that's hardly the sign of a crappy car.
My Boss's 95 GM pickup, was also decidedly not crappy, nor was the 76 Big Ten I sold last year, nor the 2000 Chevy I used at Cycle Shop, a aingle cab with a 4.3 that got 25 MPG pulling a trailer full of Motorcycles at 70MPH, and that I drove clear across Texas many times without a problem.
GM products have not always been crappy. And as a mechanic I worked on more piles with blue ovals than bowties

haha really funny LOL :lol: :lol:

Art said:
While not everything is well designed, that's hardly the sign of a crappy car.
It might come after "submerged and left in a field to rot", or "not properly serviced", but to me that's pretty much the text-book description. Seen both home runs and 3 strikes from all the "Big Three" and AMC over the years.

MiniMe said:
Art said:

haha really funny LOL :lol: :lol:

Especialy because it's true

deorman said:
Art said:
While not everything is well designed, that's hardly the sign of a crappy car.
It might come after "submerged and left in a field to rot", or "not properly serviced", but to me that's pretty much the text-book description. Seen both home runs and 3 strikes from all the "Big Three" and AMC over the years.

A drivetraine that's been known to last over 500,000 miles is your definition of crappy? and name one maker who doesn't have some bad design in their vehicles

Art said:
A drivetraine that's been known to last over 500,000 miles is your definition of crappy? and name one maker who doesn't have some bad design in their vehicles
Pintos had a durable motor but I would still consider the car it was in a piece of crap. As you might deduce from my earlier post, it's my opinion that they have all made some crap. :mrgreen:

deorman said:
Art said:
Pintos had a durable motor but I would still consider the car it was in a piece of crap. As you might deduce from my earlier post, it's my opinion that they have all made some crap. :mrgreen:
Okay, gotta agree with that, and a lot of Chevies have been crappy, too, but not all of them, and not always.
The cavalier is pretty crappy, too, but older GM (and Ford) trucks are pretty decent vehicles, for the most part. The Taurus and Luminas are pretty decent for what they are, too, though neither is an EXITING car, just blah plain vanilla transpo.
I personaly have owned cars from all the big tree, and worked on them for a living, And Fords were always plagued with more WTH? designs than Chevys, like plastic water pump impellers and such, though the rear brake design in the Lumina aint the best, either.

you need a better mechanic, or you have a lemon. I suspect it's some of both.

I worked at a GM dealer job shadowing once. I must say some of the cars seemed really shotty/thin. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be in some of those cars in a crash! The only GM we owned was 2001 Cavalier Z24 with power everything. It didn't last long, it was totalled in a crash. But the Fords and Chryslers have always been reliable for us (1989 Taurus, 2002 Taurus, 1990 & 93 Dodge Shadow, '98 Dodge Stratus, and 2009 Ford Escape).

Now...what GM did in recent years to get in trouble, is the same crap that Chrysler did in the 70s. IGNORANCE! Why don't people LEARN from history.

Back