How do you tension your spokes ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
on a poor-mans bicycle

got 1 spoke thats "floppy", it doesnt "ping" when riding just a mental pain for now.

the wheel is true, usually i just spin the wheel and make sure they all sound the same pluckin em with my fingertip as they go by, whats the right way to do it though ??

I do just the same as you. Try tightening that spoke and see what happens. On poor man bikes, trial and error work great. I have figured that my wheel building skills are good enough for coaster brake rats. On a MTB or Road bike, I might have a real spoke job done by somebody else.

If the rim is true,I'd leave it alone.

Im guessing the spoke is broken inside the nipple.

MagicRat said:
If the rim is true,I'd leave it alone.

Im guessing the spoke is broken inside the nipple.
I agree with that. However, usually a broken spoke means more on the way and it's time to seriously think about re lacing that wheel. My .02 :D

i had laced a hub to a different rim and when truing it up, just couldnt get the spoke to tighten without gettin into the tube so i just replaced it... easy fix :oops:

just didnt know if my backyard mekanekin was up to snuff.

I would tighten it up! safety first....don't be like the monkeeys in the vid :mrgreen:

like xddorox said there maybe more to come!

just tighten up the one in question...note the direction it took to tighten it ...then turn the spokes to the right and left of it opposite direction it took to make the one in question tight. This will help to keep the rim true.

Its a quick fix

your best bet is to true it or take it out to be done..

FW

Back