Historic Boathouse in NH

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I get to visit some pretty cool places in the Lakes Region for work, i do marine consturuction estimates and State of NH Wetlands Permits. This is a turn of the century boathouse that used to house a steam boat. the Captaio had quarters in the loft. Back in the 80's a permit was obtained to deck over the interior. The photos don't begin to do it justice.

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

I corrected myself no need to get all huffy. It's a good spot to park bikes drink beer and launch canoes and kayaks from. I'll be the guy with the "Gator McKlusky" type speed boat.

This structure is located within a private association. I would be surprised if they do any private functions..At this time i think mebers just go down there and have a scotch on the rocks.

This is still not my favorite boathouse...

I was out on the lake Wednesday, not a great day for boating but better than sitting at the desk. Here are a few more of the finer boat houses on the lake.
I kind of like the opennes of this three slip boathouse.
DSCN0029.jpg

Are these people playing "keep up with the jones's"
DSCN0028.jpg

This one is on my short list, yes the roof is slate. There is a huge bluestone patio inside with fieldstone fireplace you could walk into. Overhead traveling beams allow you to lift a boat from any slip and set it down on a trailer inside the boathouse. There is a garage door on the land side that opens to the patio for access. this whole structure was dug into the land (current State rules do not allow for construction of boat houses over the water, so by "giving up" your land this type of thing is possible).
DSCN0024-1.jpg

This one is a newer rebuilt boathouse, really nice structure. The "camp" isn't too bad either...
DSCN0042.jpg

In my opinion it is insane how much some folks will throw at a "garage" but hey, whatever floats your boat! There are a couple more i would like to get better photos of at some point.

Walker said:
Loudboys, the Windward Harbor boathouse is on driven pilings.

Ok....so, is the pic at high or low water? That thing's either gotta stick way out of the water on a dry year, or be under water during a wet one. ;-)

I believe the day i took that photo the lake was pretty close to normal operating level.

"Back in the day" lake Winnipesaukee was held at a lower elevation that it is today. At some point they raised the dam. Also, boats were different 100 years ago so having your dock closer to the water was the norm if you wanted to safely board your wood boat. Most of the 50+ year old structures i see have the decking height in the neighborhood of 12" above the current high water mark. Today, we set the decking elevation at 18" on the big lake, maybe lower on a small lake as the boats will be smaller and lower to the water and the wave activity is not a severe.

Sounds like the water levels vary less in your area than around here. It's not too unusual for large lakes around here to have seasonal variances of 3'-4', and that can be larger on an especially dry or wet year.

Most docks have a long hinged walkway from the shore to the floating part of the dock, to account for these variances. On a wet year the walkway will be level, on a dry one it can be dramatically downhill.

Back