Hawthorne with odd springer front end

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another great find. this one i baited i put my wanted to buy cards at different locations. guy called needed to sell he was going to get laid off and had to let it go. i was able to help him out, and paid more than his asking price this will be another tank bike to add to my collection not sure of the year maybe late 40's or early 50's has a built in taillight missing the headlight and a strange looking springer that i have never seen before. it seems to work nice the chrome looks like it will clean up this will make a great old school fat tire cruiser. any input on the front end or year would be great thanks.........
DSCN0984.jpg

DSCN0985.jpg

DSCN0988.jpg

There was a 1942 Hawthorne at the Vintage Bicycle Supply swap meet in Sacramento with that same exact springer. This bike was a HP Snyder built with a serial number that started '24 xxxx'

This bike had the same exact frame as mine (which Phil estimated was a 1941 Snyder built). Both had rear entry rear wheel dropouts with tensioning screws. The bike at the swap meet also has a cool 2 speed shifter mounted on the top tube that you can see in one of the pics. Unfortunately the springer was frozen and was going to need a good cleaning/lubing to get going again. The bike ended up selling for $350.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

very nice. needs to be painted like the on on the front of the fat tire beer can. and make a headbadge out of a can.
if the seat doesnt stay i have a home for it.

On either this forum or another one I've read references to "beehive springers", is this what they were referring to? Beautiful bike by the way!

Really nice! I'm a sucker for black bikes. Is that original paint? Should clean up nice. Good classic lines and the springer makes it unique. And kudos for you and helping someone out by paying more than asked for. Brian

oldrider said:
On either this forum or another one I've read references to "beehive springers", is this what they were referring to? Beautiful bike by the way!

Unless I'm mistaken, this is a beehive.

web.jpg

i was cleaning the paint off the chrome last night with thinner and got into the frame a little it removed the black and coat of blue and their was a nice red color paint under all that so i started looking on the web for what this bike could have looked like original and this is a picture of it maybe ? a DP Harris built hawthorne maybe a 48 to 52 ??? nice two tone paint.. with the same frontend...
bihawroma48ls5.jpg

62hotrod said:
i was cleaning the paint off the chrome last night with thinner and got into the frame a little it removed the black and coat of blue and their was a nice red color paint under all that so i started looking on the web for what this bike could have looked like original and this is a picture of it maybe ? a DP Harris built hawthorne maybe a 48 to 52 ??? nice two tone paint.. with the same frontend...
bihawroma48ls5.jpg
The pic here is a 48 or 49, the only years they used that particular head badge. Your bike has the red and blue 'crest' badge used from 50-57, and they still offered the same bike in 57, but it got a regular 1/2" pitch drive in late 55 or early 56. -Adam

I have the same bee hive springer on my FlexLiner 7 build.
Did you ever figure out the front fork?
Are there any slotted washers of something along those lines around the axle against the inside of the chrome fork?
I am trying to see how to tighten the wheel down without locking the springer function.

Actually mine is missing that headlight bracket but that is close to what I was thinking of fabricating.
Is that bracket part of the fork or is it bolted on by the springer bolt?

Back