**Hatched** Semi-Equipped Schwinn Straight Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I may be counting this one pror to hatching but I am Going to pick this one up in the morning. Seems like I read that chrome was an option on some of these springers. But would it have had the bolt in the back or straight thru the forks? What do you think, this one look like it might be original equipment? The stem looks wrong and the tires. But everything else looks pretty good to me.

**got it/ Looks like a semi equipped model with a donor headset and fork. Stem and headset look like JC Higgins parts to me. The fenders look like they once took truss rods and a delta torpedo maybe? I thought for sure that someone had thrown on some chinese knobby white whats in an effort to 'restore' it but I was surprised to see they are AWESOME condition Carlisle's! Knobby is not my first choice I was going to put some grand tycoons on it (pictured) but I cant decide. I lost my love for white walls but on the other hand they are nice old tires and I am VERY lazy... The springer is a mystery part to me. Anyone recognize the steering tube base?

Pics as found:

Pics from the CL ad:

Re: Before they hatch Schwinn Straight bar

Thanks I'll pre-accept that compliment for tomorrow! *seems like everything will be cool with the purchase. We'll see!**

the one facing the camera looks almost like its been painted silver but the far one looks like rusted chrome...gotta love a temporary mystery.

That springer, if schwinn at all, is later version than the bike.

Schwinn had a chrome one that came out later. It went through the fork leg as pictured. I had a NOS one still in the box. I may still have it stashed away here somewhere. I'll post a pic if I uncover it soon. I put it away about 10 years ago.

justride said:
Are those the Goodrich Silvertown tires?

BETTER! They are Grand Tycoon reproductions!!...wait, did I say better. I meant ACCEPTABLE! They are grand t's! :roll: as soon as they get some dirt and darken up they will start looking right i think.

I don't think that is a Schwinn fork. I have the examples of both the early (bolt-behind) and late (bolt-through) forks and yours is neither. I'm guessing some sort of generic off-the-shelf bike store part.

Latest posts

Back