Handlegrip removing question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hadlegrip removing question.

I usually lift up an edge and spray WD40 from the plastic attachement first. I then place a large adjustable wrench over the open end edge of grip on the bars and hit the wrench handle with a mallet until the grip pop loose. I've never ruined one yet by doing it this way.

personally i like to use a small flat blade screw driver slide it under the grip in as far as i can then spray something in there. then work it back and forth and it will normally come off. the fun way if you have an air compressor is to stick the nozzle in one end of one grip and let her rip. be warned though rust will come flying out the other end. oh yea and if the other grip lets loose on the other end when you do this it will shoot across the room with a lot of force.

My favorite method is to stick a blower tip from a compressed air line in the grip end and blow it off. But without a compressor, I use a crescent wrench and push the grips off.

I gotta thank the guys that suggested the WD-40 and the adjustable wrench ideas.

I used them both recently for the first time and worked perfectly!

You can also use veggie oil, suntan lotion and about anything else that you can get under there to lubricate. Unless you like the smell of WD-40 :?

Latest posts

Back