Garry

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my girlfriend's bike:
Image028.jpg

She's away this week, getting back early next. Hmmm....
Image019.jpg

I like that!

... a few minutes later, out at the shop:
Image023.jpg

I found a 24x1-3/8 front wheel and tire for it. the donor bike that's off has a matching tire that I might put on the back. I don't typically like skinwall tires, but seeing it on there has it growing on me for this colour scheme. If I pinstripe in matching colours it might look nice. Otherwise I will go buy a new pair of blackwalls.

spaced the seat off the fender a bit. Looks better I think. this leaves a sissy bar length of 14" center to center, which I'll fab up out of flat aluminum. you wouldn't think it's strong enough, but I've done another bike that way, and it worked out great.
Image031.jpg

I have been saving this light for something. I assume it's a pretty rare piece to have intact. off a 70's peugeot 10 speed. It looks SO good on here, so I might have to use it. In this picture I also have some better old pedals put on.
Image033.jpg

my garage is a mess right now. leave me alone :lol:

well, finishing a late lunch and back out there...

Did she say "can't you please do something with my bike when I'm gone?" or are you just brave?! :lol: I like that seat!

well I made some sissy bars (are you still a sissy with nothing stopping you from going off the back of the seat? I don't know).
Anyways, they are made of 3/4x1/8 aluminum bar. Holes drilled, ends radius'd. I'll polish them later.
Image034.jpg

I took it for a spin and noticed something. with the bars extended (just grips hanging off the end for now, but I'll weld some pieces on eventually), knee clearance on turns becomes an issue. although I'm 5'11" and she's 5'2", I still want something else on there.

Back to the same donor bike, I stripped these off it. looks like a winner to me:
Image039.jpg

a couple more with the light and chainguard I want to run:
Image040.jpg

Image042.jpg

that's all for today.

looks cool! i like that sissy bar idea, doesnt look that "sissy" to me. i think if you drilled a bunch of holes in it, like lightening holes, it'd look even awesomer! (yeah thats right. improper grammer. :lol: )

stretch, I think I am pushing the limits of this material, and punching a ton of holes in it might push too far, strength wise. I had thought it would look cool too, but decided it was a bit risky, at least for the size of holes I would want to put in it.
I am going to make a hoop for over the top/back of the sissy bar. that's what I had on the other bike I did this way, and it looked really nice. it sat right tight to the seat... more of a bumper around the back of the seat than anything. I need to go get another piece of this material to do it.

here's a little look into the future of this project...

my girlfriend used Garry (the bike is named Garry, by the way, which was on the seat tube before the repaint)in one of her photo assignments (she's now a BFA in fine art photography) I helped her build and mount a Pinhole camera to the front of the bike, and then the bike was able to take her picture as she rode along the street. Here is an example of what it produced:
3434869445_5777294e89_o.jpg

The camera this picture came out of was a big wood box on the front that made it heavy and less fun to ride, so I am going to make a better version of the pinhole camera, and figure out a way to operate the shutter by means of a shifter or something. Being able to take a picture of it's rider is part of what makes Garry Garry, so this is a must for this build.

That is so cool with the Pinhole Camera. Photos by Gary at the art gallery, tea and cookies from 1:00 to 3:30. Keep working at it. When the Gary's finished, use Gary to take a picture of it's own reflection reflection off some large window. Self portrait would be cool.

GL

Once saw an eclipse of the sun on the ground through pin holes in tree leaves.

I managed to get the bars done on Sunday night. Went into work to borrow the welder. I cut some chunks off an old 10 speed bar, and extended as much as I could that would still be hidden by the grip. I put the max length I thought I could get away with, and then ended up cutting off a bit in the bandsaw after welding, so the uglies (discoloring/grinder marks) are just up to the end of the grip. I forget who posted this technique, but THANKS! it works great. as a side bonus, the extensions were slightly bigger diameter, so now the grips are good and tight. originally they were pretty loose, and she had to watch it all the time when riding that they didn't come off. So I killed two birds with one stone, without even knowing it.

Image034-1.jpg

I mounted these up and went for a quick spin. it's gonna be faster than before! it's comfortable, but being down and back from stock, you know you're on a Kustom. Still corners and handles nice. I think I need to build one like this for myself :roll: :oops:

I'm really surprised. I thought thr chrome legs of the chair in your 1st photo would be the donor pieces for some funky looking high rise handlebars. Anyway, it's looking good.

does that seat mount(sissy bar) have any side to side movement?
i did something similer w/ strap steel but i made it one peice instead of 2 and it bolted on the inside.
it's been holding me up but i'm only about 155lbs.
000_0001-4.jpg

000_0002-3.jpg

yeah there was a bit of side to side (a really strange feeling I might add), but that is cured by having the front really tight. I'll have to see how it holds up. the other bike I did this on had an aluminum post, which might have had a little more to "bite" for the clamp, but things look good so far. we went for a ride last night, and she really likes it!

Back