Flying-O Otasco~Year? Model? Info?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is my Flying-O.
20141010_180300_zpse750a91c.jpg

[Looks for Serial under frame] No serial to be seen anywhere.. parts of the frame are pitted, do I guess its likely it never had one? I know the seats off a Schwinn and the Coaster Brakes are Excel IV's. From what I've seen on these Otasco, this is a pretty standard Gear for it, with the multi-ring look. The handles are a red sparkle polymer, they look to be stock, though none of the paint is, outside the Flying-O Badge, which barely has any of the black paint left, but enough to make out the details. The tires look to be original, as cracked as they are, also no name, no size visible on outer trims.

I'm not sure if all my information on this is correct, but anything you guys know sure helps! I don't plant to sell, just to know for shows sake.

could be Murry made.60's. Look on left rear dropout for serial #

Left rear dropout.... [thinks carefully and walks to left side of the bike, examining the rear left fork-end, where the wheel connects...] Nothing on ether side of it, nor the other from what I can see. I DID find this morning the Coaster Brakes are Mark IV's, if that's any help. I was told based on its lack of a Number, it might be Early 70's? Maybe 70-73, But I don't take that to heart so quickly. [P.s. If anyone has any info on the plush rubber Schwinn Seat, thatd be cool too. I'm getting mixed notions from people NOT on this site, and having read easily half the forums in just the span of a couple of days, you fellas know your stuff!~ I trust that, I trust you.]

If it has pointy rear dropouts, like on this 60s Sears-

it's definitely a Murray. They used this style frame from 1958 into the early 90s! -Adam

If it has pointy rear dropouts, like on this 60s Sears-

it's definitely a Murray. They used this style frame from 1958 into the early 90s! -Adam
they look like arrowheads, sorta, yea, I guess you could say. No serial I could find, and based on what I read, due to the pitted frame, it was a rusty salvage. I kinda wish Id been able to see it before it was painted black and green, but I cant complain I guess. Outside of being a PAIN to get uphill, its wonderful. I prefer style over comfort, as I havent found a comfortable medium yet, though I think Im getting close!~
I want to drop curved springers on the front and change the seat to a brooks, and drop it low. As a fallback plan, remove it all and put it on a 65 schwinn frame. But hey, thanks for the help. Thats one more thing I know about it now =] So its a Flying-O Murray out of the early 70's?

I'll bet the little serial numbers are under that black paint. You'd have to scrape the paint to see them.

SWEET! its 60's. The badge is steel, riveted. The patina on it is half worn, but visible for the whole name to be made out!

In regards to the serials, I see the paintjob on the Rear dropouts and the pits visible even with that coat on it.. Id figure I could have at least felt the indentations of the number if I looked hard enough, but we'll know soon enough.. She might be getting made over in color, and if thats the case, Im gonna make her a lot lower in some places.. get her original patina back if I can and really bring the rat out of this classic. In regards to my seat, does anyone know what make and model it is? Ive been having a hard time finding anything of the like on even the restored krates and schwinns kids bikes Ive seen here.. Is it less or more comfortable of a seat than a classic banana? Would a banana look better with this bodystyle over a brooks saddle? Opinions thanks!

Thank you Rustinkerer & WildCat~

Oh, and I named it BeetleJuice, given the colors I found it in. Prior to this, every bike I had was named Nancy [Due to the ratted nature, and work I put into them, my usual wardrobe.. I looked like Sid Vicious on a BMX. So I always called it Nancy/Nancys Revenge.

A Brooks saddle with a laid back seat post would look and ride great. I've never ridden a banana seat that was comfortable after 15 minutes.

A Brooks saddle with a laid back seat post would look and ride great. I've never ridden a banana seat that was comfortable after 15 minutes.
I dont know if I can call mine a Banana seat.. I think they call it a Bread Loaf? Im not sure. Not many Ive seen here like mine yet. But you think a Brooks sitting on the back fender would do it some justice, huh?

Brooks saddles have never hurt a bike yet. I'd like to find a few of them for a cheap price. And I think they have a green model.

Brooks saddles have never hurt a bike yet. I'd like to find a few of them for a cheap price. And I think they have a green model.
No worries on the green, I'll be going classic, original Patina if I get a brooks for it.. taking off the shaker can paint. Switching out the handlebars and making it low.

Latest posts

Back