Firestone Rehab

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my very first rat bike and I've managed to hold onto it for a few years now. Here's what it first looked like:
PICT3580.jpg

And then for the Klunker build off it was transformed into this turd:
SKUNKWORKS.jpg

And here it is now, pretty sad:
IMG_2224.jpg

My LBS has started doing a 10 mile ride every Weds. night so I plan on robbing the wheels, drivetrain, and stem from this old Schwinn Traveler and building a comfort cruiser of sorts.
IMG_2225.jpg

Here's my first mockup. I need to shorten the frame's headtube about an inch for the forks to fit, but other than that it should be an easy build. If anyone has some cheap 700 tires let me know :)
IMG_2226.jpg

I've got a used set in great shape you are welcome to. They are gumwalls with a medium hybrid tread. I'll have to get the specs off them when I get home. They came off a Raleigh from about 2002.

I might end up just cutting the fork tube and adding length to it, thanks for the offer though.

i really like the look of this build. it has a super fast stance to it. i think it might has something to do with the bars and stem. i cant wait to see what it turns into!

Easy E

Playing around with mock ups until I get my forks finished. Figured out a deraileur, grips, and brake lever that I'm happy with. Hopefully I'll have this done in time for the next ride.
IMG_2240.jpg

Re: Firestone Rehab FINISHED

I'm calling it done. Finally got the forks done, just found a pair of donor women's forks, cut the headtube off, and welded it on the schwinn forks. l will need some better tires very soon, but for now it's riding time! :D
IMG_2241.jpg

You'd laugh if you saw these tires. They are so old that strings of sidewall come flying off every time I ride :lol: They'll probably blow out tomorrow when I'm a good 5 miles from the bike shop.

Back